creatures of eden

The Creatures of Eden

EVE

The sun burst through the clouds, but otherwise it looks to be the same sky as the day prior. Cloud filled and God-less. I glanced to Adam and he takes me aback for a moment. Adam is motionless; I would have thought that he had stopped living if he hadn't been snoring so loudly. I nudge him anyway hoping to wake him up.

"Adam," I whisper shout at him, but he remains sleeping. "Adam!" I shout louder this time and he jolts up so viscously that his head almost bangs into mine.

"Eve," once I've regained my balance I see worry in his eyes and fear spread throughout his body. His body is stiff and tense, eyes moving every which way. "What's wrong? What happened?"

"Nothing, nothing..." I try and reassume him that I was just trying to wake him up, that it was light out now, but he had jumped up and scanned the area so quickly before I had time to think. Once he was done hopping around like a monkey he refocuses his attention on me. I wait for him to collect himself.

"What?" he shouts, and is that anger is his voice? His face scrunched up in frustration as well.

"I just wanted you to get up," is he mad at me? He was the one snoring all night making me toss and turn, I should be the one mad at him. "The sun is up and I want to find the animals, to check on them and make sure they are alright. They must be scared as we were... as we are."

"You woke me because you want to check on the animals?" his voice remains harsh and cruel. His arms flair up as he speaks and he paces back and forth. He runs his hand through his hair dropping his arm down to his side then clenching his fist at his sides. All his motions make me terrified that he might hurt me. That his temper, his range might turn towards me.

"Adam, what is the matter with you?" I question, stepping away from him slowly. His eyes met mine and his cold stare drills into me. "Adam, clam down I just, I just," I don't what to say, his temper is scaring me and I want to run away and hide, but I don't know where to go or what to do. His gaze remains fixated on me, but my eyes drift to the ground. Can't you see I'm scared? My mind calls out to him, can't you see I'm worried about you, about us, about Eden.

We used to have this connection, we didn't need to talk to know what we were feeling or what the other needed. It was simpler. It was better before. That connection is severed and that feeling has been replaced with something I can not place.

I turn away and start to move back the way we came from yesterday, but he reaches out his fingers grazing my arm. I hold my arms tightly to myself, sucking in a breath at his touch and turn to face him. I clamp my lips shut and breathe out my nose not wanting to say anything else to upset him. As he takes a step forward, I take one back. He looks up to me and stops moving, he must see my hesitation. He opens his mouth, but nothing comes out. We just stand a long while and stare at one another waiting for the other to make the first move.

"Eve," he begins, but his posture is still tight, his lips pursed as he bit out my name. He drops his focus and looks to the birds tweeting viscously behind him, and at that I turn and run. "Eve!" He calls out again, but I don't stop. I keep running as fast as my legs will go. I hear his footsteps catching up to me, but I don't look back, I just run faster and faster. At least I try to run, but my body isn't used to running, not for a long while at least. My feet begin to ach of rocks and twigs quickly upon my escape, but I have to push through the small shreds of pain to avoid an argument with the only other person alive.

"Eve!" He shouts louder, he is running out of breath, he is slowing down too. Keep running, keep going, I think. If I can get away long enough for him to not be mad, for us both to cope alone then we can talk. Then he won't look as though he wants to harm me. His footsteps stop but I keep going. My pace is slow, but I want as much distance between as possible. It is only one full day without God and I am already running away from the only man I know. I lost all my breath and stop panting, placing my hands at my knees trying to breathe in all the air possible.

All is quite around me so I take a moment longer to just breathe. My mind flips back to Adam with the crack of a stick in the distance and the ripple of the stream growing louder. He wouldn't hurt me, I am being ridiculous, but then why does the thought of him make fear course through me as though he is the danger here. I turn back to where I had run from and see nothing but trees and wilted flowers. Now was not the time to think of flowers and their destruction I tell myself and stand up straight.

"Find the animals, the animals are your friends." I say aloud and brush the debris off my feet and march on to find my furry friends. They will protect me.