19 • Dancing

The last time Seraphina had danced with someone, it had been Matt, and she didn't have nearly as much fun as she was having with Charlie.

They were both laughing at Sera's attempt at recreating the Laendler dance from The Sound of Music. It involved many steps, and sets of skips and twirls that she wasn't able to master. She was beginning to feel like she had two left feet, and danced like it was the truth.

"I'm a really bad dancer," Sera self-deprecated.

Charlie smiled, shaking his head. "No, you're not, it's just hard to get the hang of. Novi and I spent hours trying to get the steps right."

"Novi, that's a cool name," Sera commented.

"Short for November," Charlie explained. "When she turned thirteen, she suddenly decided her hated her name. She said it sounded stupid because it was a month." He chuckled, looking off as if he were remembering something. "She tried making everyone call her Novi, though I was the only one who actually did so. There was one time when she demanded to be called Hannah because of Hannah Montana, and got mad when none of us actually complied."

"She sounds like a character."

Charlie's smile dropped. "Yeah, she was."

Wanting to see his smile again, Sera quickly changed topics. "Uh, can we run over the dance from the top? I think I might have it this time."

He nodded, getting into position. His smile was put back together when she started dancing again.

"I'm so bad at this," Sera said after a few steps, slapping a hand over her face. "This is way harder than Maria and the Captain make it look!" She complained.

Charlie watched her in amusement, something flashing in his eyes. "Let's do something different, then."

He pulled her flush against him, her front pressing into his. His left hand settled at her waist and his right hovered in the air with hers in its grasp.

Sera felt her heart hammering in her chest, and hoped to God that he couldn't feel it with how close they were together.

Charlie moved back from her, spinning her elegantly before pulling her back to him. His movements were agile and graceful, his steps well thought out, yet seemingly effortless.

"You really know how to dance, don't you?" Sera commented, smiling as he spun her away from him and then drew her back into his arms. "Did you sister make you learn these steps, too?"

"No, these are all from watching movies. I've never gotten a chance to try them out. Until you, that is." He stared down at her, a smirk gracing his face.

Something about him telling her she was the first girl he ever danced with like this made her heart soar. "Well I'm glad I could be your Guinea pig," she quipped.

He grinned, spinning her around again. "I'm hoping you'll be my everything."

Sera's heart almost melted in her chest, her knees threatening to buckle. She hadn't expected him to say that, or anything of that nature, really. It just didn't seem like the Charlie she had come to know.

It was when he winked at her did she finally realize something. He was acting different than he normally did. The brooding, unemotional man had been replaced by a charming, goofy one. He seemed less hesitant to laugh or smile, and was letting more of his personality show than he normally did.

It was almost like he was . . .

"Charlie?" She asked, stilling her feet. 

"Hmm?" Charlie ignored her attempt at stopping, guiding her around the room and spinning her.