30 • The Fall Ball

For the first time in 21 years, Seraphina Pendalla felt like a woman—and a beautiful one at that.

Her hair was back to brunette, but was somehow deeper and richer in color than it had been previously. It made her eyes brighter and did her skin tone wonders.

Her mother had even gone as far as to cut off her split ends and straighten out her normally wavy strands, giving her an edgy, more mature look.

The new hair inspired darker makeup—eyeliner and a dark smoky eye she thought she would never be able to pull off. But she did. And she did it well.

The last element of her look was the dress. Gone was the purple a-line dress she had worn for the last two Fall Balls, in its place was a dark navy dress with thin straps that her mother had worn to a wedding in the 90s.

It was made of a beautiful silky material that felt soft against her skin and held onto every curve like it was made for her.

All together, Sera looked and felt absolutely beautiful. And it felt good.

Standing in the mirror of her parents' bedroom made her realize that she had her confidence again. She knew that if Tessa or Ava were to pop up and tell her she looked bad in that moment, she wouldn't care. She felt good and that was all that mattered.

She and her mother had gone through the same getting ready routine they had done with each big event Sera went through. Homecomings. Proms. Weddings. Fall Balls. Each time, ended up standing right in front for the mirror she was at.

Except this time, there wasn't a teenage girl looking back at her, but a woman.

• • •

The confidence buzzing in her veins made her feel invincible as she walked into the Fall Ball alone. The stares sent her way somehow added to it.

She strode forward with her head held high,  gaping at all the decor. It looked better than she could have imagined, magical even.

Lights were strung up all around, a large,
crystal chandelier hung over the dance floor from the branches of a sturdy oak tree, a live band played jazz near the dance floor, faux ivy was wrapped around chairs and tables and arbors. Tea lights were lit up in the holders she and Krista had worked on, giving the illusion that they were floating.

Sera smiled when she spotted some of the other pieces she had worked on, namely the moon and clouds cutout that a couple was taking a picture in front of.

"It looks good, doesn't it?" Her mother said next to her, gazing at all she had put together.

"It looks amazing," Sera complimented. "It's the best Fall Ball yet."

Diana beamed at her daughter. "Well, I'm sure it will get better."

Sera shrugged, not entirely sure about that. Her confident buzz had died down a little, and she felt awkward without a friend next to her. "Where's Micah at?" She asked, at least wanting to be by someone's side until she could locate Krista.

"Micah isn't coming," her mother let out in one breath, not sounding as angry as Sera thought she would've.

"He's not? But how'd he get out of it? You make him go every year!"

"Well, he managed to talk me out of it this year," she sighed. "Ooh," her eyes lit up as she spotted one of her friends, "I need to go say something to Sandra." She sauntered away shortly after that, leaving Sera alone.

Sera shifted around awkwardly as she scanned the room for any familiar faces, eventually deciding to busy herself at the refreshment table so she didn't look so alone.