12 • Handyman

Ever since she was a little girl, Seraphina has always been drawn to the pond located down the main walking trail of her family's plot of land. It was surrounded by large pine and oak trees that stayed green year-round, and had the most perfect lily pads scattered about the surface of the water.

She had done everything from swimming to bathing in that pond, but on this particular day she had chosen to fish in it.

Fishing was therapeutic to her, similar to baking. Both pastimes kept her busy and away from stressful or worrisome thoughts.

Sera had been fishing for a little over an hour when she got her first bite—something that usually only took ten minutes on an overcast day like this one.

The thrill of the sport sparked to life in her chest as she watched the bobber with hawk-like vision, waiting for it to get pulled under the water.

A truck rumbled behind her, traveling along the dirt road and creating clouds of dust in its path.

Sera turned to watch it go, her eyebrows shooting up when she saw the logo on the side of it.

She quickly reeled in her line and scooped up the tackle box at her feet before heading down the path to follow the truck.

By the time she reached the truck it was parked next to her car. The driver stood at her front door with a toolbox in hand, knocking as Winston barked loudly on the other side.

"Um, hey," Sera called out once she made it to the stone walkway leading up to her porch, "you must be the handyman my dad sent."

The man turned to look at her and stuck out a rough hand. "Yeah, I'm Roy."

Sera quickly set down her pole and tackle box, wiping her hands off on the back of her leggings before shaking his hand. "Sera."

"Well, nice to meet you, Sera," Roy said, offering a lazy grin. "I've been told you got something wrong with your kitchen sink. I came by yesterday, but you weren't home."

Sera frowned, moving past him to unlock her door. "I'm sorry, my dad didn't even tell me when exactly you'd be coming by." She fiddled with her keychain to find the right key. "As for my sink, it hasn't been draining properly. I mean, it still works but it takes about an hour for the water to actually drain." As soon as she twisted the knob, she had to lunge to grab Winston's collar as he began growling at the stranger.

"Sorry about him," Sera called over her shoulder to Roy. "Winston doesn't take kindly to strangers. You can head into the kitchen while I deal with him."

Roy followed her suggestion and walked into the cabin and towards the kitchen.

"Winnie, calm down!" Sera ordered in a hushed whisper. She gently tugged Winston towards her bedroom, guiding him in before shutting the door.

"Sorry about that," Sera apologized as she entered the kitchen.

Roy was already at the sink, turning it on and frowning as the water built up in the sink instead of running down the pipes. "Looks like it's clogged."

"That's what I thought," Sera told him. "I've tried boiling water and vinegar and baking soda, but obviously that hasn't worked. Anything outside those methods I'm too scared to try." She shook her head, leaning up against the counter. "I have a terrible history of accidentally breaking things."