07 • Winston

"Gosh, it was a nightmare, Kris," Sera breathed into the phone, quickening her walking pace as her German Shepard tugged forward on his leash. "And even after I told him I didn't like him the way he wanted me to, he tried to kiss me."

"Oh wow," Krista said on the other end, "I didn't think he'd be that bold. How'd you get out of it?"

Sera hesitated to tell her friend the next part, not knowing how Krista would react. "Um, well, Charlie kinda showed up."

"Mr. Muscles?!" Krista exclaimed. "Why was he there? Tell me everything. Every detail. Go."

Sera sighed. "Well, Miles was like a centimeter away from my face and I swear I thought I was going to combust into flames right there because of how awkward it was—but I told him to stop and then he showed up out of no where when Miles was trying to convince me to let him kiss me even after I told him no."

"Ooh, I love a good knight in shining armor," Krista teased. "That makes him even more attractive . . . What happened after that?"

"Oh, well he kinda sorta told Miles to leave and—Woah! Winston!" Sera was yanked forwards by her dog, who had broken off from their normal walking trail and tried to head into the wooded grove off to her right.

Sera pulled back on the leash. "Geez, Winston! Stop!"

The dog ignored her, nose glued to the ground as he tried to continue towards the woods.

"Winston, sit!"

Winston finally stopped, remembering his training and doing as he was told.

"Heel!"

He reluctantly walked towards her, coming to a stop at her side.

"What just happened?" Krista asked.

Sera gently tugged the leash forwards, motioning for him to start walking. "Winston tried to take off into the woods," she explained. "I think he caught a whiff of something. Anyways, what was I saying?"

"You were talking about Mr. Muscles interrupting the almost-kiss."

"You know his name is Charlie, right?"

"Yeah, but Mr. Muscles suits him better. Now, continue!"

Sera smiled at her friend's impatient behavior, continuing on with her retelling of the night prior. "He came up and started talking to us—made sure I was okay, and then told Miles to leave. Thankfully, Miles did and then Charlie mentioned that he was on his way towards his apartment complex. You know the one five minutes down the road from the farm?"

"Mhm."

"Yeah, he was headed there on foot."

"'On foot?'" Krista repeated. "But that's like at least two or maybe even three hours of walking from downtown. Does he not own a car?"

"I guess not, but I offered him a ride when he told me that and ended up driving him home."

"Ooh, what did y'all talk about? Did he flirt with you? What is he like? Was Miles angry?"

Sera rolled her eyes at the rapid-fire questions. "Kris, one question at a time, please, and yeah I'm pretty sure Miles was angry. As for Charlie, he's . . . nice."

"Just nice? That's all you can say?" Krista deadpanned.

"Well he is! I don't know, it's just hard to read him sometimes. It's like he doesn't want to show any emotion."

"Like a robot?" Krista joked.

Even though Sera knew it was a joke, she found herself almost agreeing.