15 • Beer Bottles

Seraphina didn't like the feeling of being hated. She was a people pleaser, and wanted to be liked by everyone she meets.

But by the way the man on the sidewalk was staring at her, she knew very well that he didn't like her at all.

It was the man from the Farmer's Market—the one that had threatened her and her entire family.

"You ssstupid Pendallasss!" He hissed like a snake, his words slurred.

Sera briefly wondered if he was drunk before spotting a six-pack of beers in his hand. That quickly finalized the conclusion that he was indeed inebriated. The droopy eyes and sloppy steps only added to it.

"Hey, Mr. Welch," Micah greeted warmly, though Sera could hear the air of caution in his voice.

Welch pointed a finger at Micah, his teeth bared. "Give me my job backkk!"

Micah threw up his hands, silently telling him to calm down. "I'm sorry, but that is out of my control—"

"Give it back, or you'll regret it!" He warned.

Charlie took a step forward, eyeing the man with disdain. "Why don't you calm down," he suggested, his tone demanding.

"Or what?" Welch asked. "I'll sssue if you lay a hand on me." He smiled as if wanting to provoke him.

Sera cast her eyes away from the angry man and towards her brother. "Hey, let's just leave," she said in a low voice.

Welch snapped his eyes toward her, his smile disappearing. "And you!" He screeched, pointing at Sera. "You little tattletale!"

Charlie was quick to sweep her behind his back and away from the angry man's view, but a curious Sera peeked out from behind his shoulder.

"Don't talk to her," Charlie ordered, his shoulders taut with tension.

Welch ignored him, staring daggers at Sera. "You got S-Stuart fired! You tattled on him!" He accused.

Sera shook her head passionately, stepping out from behind Charlie's back just enough to fully see the man.

"I didn't do anything," she explained, reserving her run-in with Stuart at the orchard. "I never told my father anything about Stuart."

"LIAR!" He roared, pointing his finger at her.

"Hey!" Micah barked out. "Don't you dare talk to my sister like that! Stuart got fired because he showed up to work drunk—just like you did!"

Welch growled like a dog, reaching down to grab a beer bottle and chuck it at Micah.

Due to his drunken aim, Micah easily dodged it, but the action created enough fear in Sera for her to whip out her phone and dial the police.

Welch went to grab another bottle but decided to switch targets when he noticed Sera with her phone up to her ear.

He hurled a bottle through the air, aimed directly at Sera's chest—but Charlie swiftly intercepted it before it could hit its destination.

"Don't do that again," Charlie commented darkly as he dropped the beer, the bottle shattering on the concrete. 

He started forwards, fists balled at his sides as he zeroed in on the drunken man.