05 • Farmer's Market

A tap at her car window made Sera spring up like she had been electrocuted, waking her from her nap. She breathed heavily, putting a hand over her erratic heartbeat as she blinked several times to try and moisten her dry eyes.

A deep, bellowing chuckles brought her attention to her left, where her brother was leaning against the car for support as his body trembled in laughter.

Sera scowled, opening her door and purposely knocking him off balance. He stumbled away and put a hand onto the car next to her's to gain his balance.

"You nearly scared me half to death!" Sera screeched at him, crossing her arms over her Pendalla Produce T-shirt.

Micah's laughter slowly came to a halt, although a faint grin still lingered on his lips. He put out his hands in surrender, saying, "Sorry Ser, I really didn't mean to scare ya." He accidentally let another laugh slip through, but tried to sober when he saw his sister set her hands on her hips.

Sera sighed, turning back to her car to retrieve her purse and phone before locking up.

"Come on, I just wanna hurry up and get this thing over—" she began, a yawn cutting her off, "—with. I'm tired."

Micah nodded, starting towards the cluster of people and tents set up in the middle of the blocked-off street. "What's got you so tired?"

"I didn't go to bed until 3:00 AM last night," Sera admitted sheepishly.

"Doing what?" He questioned.

"Nothing," she replied, "I just couldn't fall asleep."

"Why? You stressed or something?"

Sera scoffed. "You could say that."

Micah frowned slightly, tucking his hands into his front pockets as he glanced over at his sister. "What's got you all stressed?"

"Boys, school, work . . . but mainly school. Midterms are coming up," she sighed. "I've got three big projects I have to do along with my exams."

Micah breathed out a laugh. "I'm so glad I skipped college."

Sera rolled her eyes at him. "Like you would've even been able to get into college."

He chuckled. "True, I barely even know how I passed high school."

"Me either," Sera mumbled, slipping under the green tent they used for market days.

She set her purse under the metal folding chair set out for her right in front of the portable cash register.

"Wow, you and Dad managed to get a lot done," Sera complimented as she surveyed the stacks of crates already set out. "Where's Dad at? Getting more crates?"

"Oh he's not getting them," Micah explained, heading over to a stack of crates. He began setting them onto the stretch of tables that had been set up, unpacking the produce and arranging them properly. "And we didn't do this."

Sera followed his lead, picking up a crate of her own and heaving it onto the table next to Micah.

"Who did this, then?" She asked, taking out containers of raspberries and setting them aside.

Micah smirked, looking at her out of the corner of his eye. "You'll see."

Sera narrowed her eyes. "What's that supposed to mean?"

He didn't say anything else, slipping the empty crates under the table once he was done unpacking.

Sera ignored his odd behavior and focused on her task.