Chapter 16 (You are free)

Hey guys!

Time skip!
Just one more chapter after this! I'm excited to end this story and yet sad at the same time.

Thank you, Jesse_Winter_Soldier , for going on this journey with me! Best Beta ever!

All mistakes are my own!

-Sif

Two and a half years later...

Steve sighed, looking out the jet window; it never ceases to amaze him the beauty of Wakanda. They passed over the Golden City, not too far away, nestled into the thick woods, a beautiful two-story home.

"Here's your stop, Rogers!" Nat shouted over her shoulder.

Steve grabbed his duffle bag, and taking off towards the steps. He was excited to be home.

"Give that little one loves from Uncle Sam!" Sam called over his shoulder; Nat cleared her throat, raising an eyebrow at him. "And Auntie Nat.", he added.

"Will do!" he laughed, shaking his head. When the all-clear was given, he pushed the button, and the steps lowered. He hurried down them; he was ready for some R&R.

He stood in the field and waved to Nat and Sam as they took off back towards the city; before taking off in the direction of the house.

Walking along the worn path up to the house, he couldn't help but smile. The dark brown siding with white trimmed windows, a large white front door, a few shades lighter than the siding deck with a railing wrapped around to the back of the house from the left side—a few riding toys littered along the porch, along with hanging baskets and other potted flowers. Near the door were two wooden chairs, and a small table sat off to the right: two glasses and a pitcher of lemonade on it.

As he reached the front porch steps, the door opened. A little girl with chestnut curls pulled back into a ponytail stumbled out the door in a soft blue dress that matched the color of her beautiful steel-blue eyes.

A huge smile pulled across her little face when she looked at Steve. "Dada!" she squeaked excitedly, running towards the steps.

His heart skipped a beat at the name; she had been going between Dada and Steve when they talked on the phone.

Hurried steps came from the house, "Winnifred James!"

Steve crouched down to catch the squealing toddler in her arms; she wrapped her little arms around his neck. He looked up to see Rori running out the door, her fiery red hair resting on her shoulders now. She cocked her head to the side, placing a hand on her hip. She is dressed in a pair of jean capris and a simple band tee, barefoot, like her daughter.

Steve hauled the toddler into his arms. "I think Mommy has told you not to open the door, hasn't she?" he asked the toddler, walking up the steps.

She looked back at her mother and buried her face in Steve's neck. "Sorry.", she mumbled.

Steve sat in one of the wooden chairs, still holding onto the little girl. God, how he missed her.

"How long are you back for this time?" Rori asked, smiling at her daughter, who was clinging to Steve. Winnie just misses him so much while he is gone.

"Winnie, why don't you go play with your toys?" Steve says, placing a kiss into the little mess of curls on her head, "Don't worry, baby girl, I won't leave without saying goodbye." he reassured the toddler.

Reluctantly, Winnie loosened her death grip on Steve, placing the little girl back on her feet; she shot off like a rocket, diving headfirst into a tote of outdoor toys.