6》Stinging Hearts

"What was that?" I ask, having little knowledge of grievers.

Minho looked at me with wide eyes, looking at me with guilt- like he'd just pushed me into a death trap.
"A griever, we gotta run." He tugged my hand, pulling us into a sprint.

Emotions pace through my mind with each step.
I just kissed him, are we supposed to be together or something? How the hell does love work! Wait but I'm not sure if I want to date Minho- I mean, I'm an assassin. What if I?

What if you kill him? You could do it, you know.

No. I just want to focus on right now. Right, now.
Taking a deep breath, I glance at Minho, who's keeping his eyes dead ahead as we dart around corners, sprint down corridors.

After a few minutes we stop, hearts pounding.
"I think we lost it." Minho wiped his forehead.
"Have you ever seen one?" I ask, stepping closer to him.

"Just glimpses. Nobody's actually seen one and lived to tell us." Minho shrugged.

You could kill one.
No, I couldn't.
You could, you just don't know it yet.

"Back then," Minho bit his lip, "was that like, for real.".
Amused at seeing him confused, I wrapped my arms around his neck, smiling.

"Would you like it to be, for real?" I ask.
"Would you?" Minho laughs, resting his hands on my waist.

I wouldn't.
Shut up, you're not me.
I am you, Fallon, the real you.

We lean in closer, till our lips meet.
Kissing softly, I feel whole. Like a part of me has just 'clicked' together.

Abruptly, Minho pulls away, glancing over his shoulder.
"Run." He mutters, as the echoes of a griever get louder.
"Wait, but-" I stammer.
"Run shuck face!" Minho yells as I turn away and run off, away from the griever, and Minho.

Running again, I keep looking back, hoping to see Minho, but he's never there.
My heart in my mouth, I dive around a corner, leaning against the wall.

After a few minutes of only hearing my own heartbeat- a piercing yell is heard throughout the maze.

"Minho!" I call, running back to where I was, "Minho!".

There he is.
Stumbling against the wall, crippled over.

I rush to his side, putting a hand on his shoulder, "What happened?".

He grunts, his eyes glazed over. Lifting up the corner of his shirt he reveals a pulsing veiny stinging mark.
Minho had been stung by a griever.

"We're gonna get you back, just hold on!" I stammer, tears in my eyes as I watch him fall to the floor in pain.
Reaching out my hand, to help him up, he just swipes it away, aggressively.
Oh, so this is what it does to people.

"Minho, come on-" I step towards him.
He pulls himself to his feet, hands curled into a fist.
Now or never, I guess.

In one movement, twisting my hips I kick my left leg, impacting with Minho's forehead. His head jolts back, causing him to fall unconscious on the floor.

Then I notice the very much conscious griever, right in front of me.

____a/n____
Sorry haven't updated in a bit bc of personal reasons.
This chapter isn't too great sorry, but I've finished the story plan! Whoop! Whoop!
And if you've read my other book, this is probably even worse! Yay!