100. "i whisper as I hide myself in this small room"

C

C. HIS TESTAMENT

21:79 ─❁────────── 31:80

◁                          Ⅱ                          ▷

Anytime I count sheep

That's the only time we make up

༻───────────────༺

          THE PATRONUS DISSOLVED INTO THIN air, leaving Fleur's family peering in astonishment at the place where it had vanished.

"We shouldn't be here," said Lupin at once. "Harry — I'm sorry — I'll explain another time —"

He seized Tonks's wrist and pulled her away; they reached the fence, climbed over it, and vanished from sight. Mrs. Weasley looked bewildered.

"The Minister — but why — ? I don't understand —"

But there was no time to discuss the matter; a second later, Mr. Weasley had appeared out of thin air at the gate, accompanied by Rufus Scrimgeour, instantly recognizable by his mane of grizzled hair.

The two newcomers marched across the yard toward the garden and the lantern-lit table, where everybody sat in silence, watching them draw closer. As Scrimgeour came within range of the lantern light, Harry saw that he looked much older than the last time they had met, scraggy and grim.

"Sorry to intrude," said Scrimgeour, as he limped to a halt before the table. "Especially as I can see that I am gate-crashing a party."

His eyes lingered for a moment on the giant Snitch cake.

"Many happy returns."

"Thanks," said Harry.

"I require a private word with you," Scrimgeour went on. "Also with Mr. Ronald Weasley, Miss Luciana DiFiore, and Miss Hermione Granger."

"Us?" said Ron, sounding surprised. "Why us?"

"We're really not that important, Minister," Lucia agreed.

"I shall tell you that when we are somewhere more private," said Scrimgeour, dismissing Lucia's comment. "Is there such a place?" he demanded of Mr. Weasley.

"Yes, of course," said Mr. Weasley, who looked nervous. "The, er, sitting room, why don't you use that?"

"You can lead the way," Scrimgeour said to Ron. "There will be no need for you to accompany us, Arthur."

Mr. Weasley exchange a worried look with Mrs. Weasley as she, Hermione, Harry, and Ron stood up. As they led the way back to the house in silence, Lucia felt that the four of them were definitely thinking the very same thing as the other was: Scrimgeour must, somehow, have learned that the four of them were planning to drop out of Hogwarts.