007. "faces from my past return."

VII

VII. NEW FACE, SAME FEAR

01:03 ─❁────────── 01:80

◁                       Ⅱ                       ▷

That I'd fallen for a lie?,

You were never on my side

༻───────────────༺

          EVER SINCE THE FERRET-MALFOY incident, there had been no great incidents that could be on par as to that, much to many dismay — unless, maybe, you counted Neville melting his sixth cauldron in Potions. Professor Snape, who seemed to have reached new levels of vindictiveness over the summer, gave Neville detention. And Neville returned from it in a state of nervous collapse, having been made to disembowel a barrel full of horned toads.

"You know why Snape's in such a foul mood, don't you?" said Ron as they watched Hermione teaching Neville a Scouring Charm to remove the toad guts from under his fingernails.

"Yeah," said Harry. "Moody."

It was common knowledge that Snape really wanted the Dark Arts job, and he had now failed to get it for the fourth year running. Snape had disliked all of their previous Dark Arts teachers and shown it — but he seemed strangely wary of displaying overt animosity to Mad-Eye Moody. Indeed, whenever Lucia saw the two of them together — at mealtimes, or when they passed in the corridors — she had the distinct impression that Snape was avoiding Moody's eye, whether magical or normal.

Lucia, who unintentionally saw a joke in his words, snorted out loud. This caught the attention of the two boys as they turned to Harry's right with an incredulous look. It seemed that neither Ron nor Harry himself had caught the joke.

She cleared her throat and scratch the surface of the gauze on her cheek. Harry looked at her disapprovingly and forced her hand back down.

"Stop with that already. You're going to make your cut worst than it already is," he said.

"But It itches..." she whined with a small pout.

"Then get used to it," said Ron. He sensed tension between the two, and that tension was actually pleasing.

Ever since the night Harry had gone off without him to the hospital wing, Ron had noticed the two had became abnormally close, but he wasn't going to complain. For all he knows is that they were just becoming as close as Hermione and him were best friends.

She casted Ron a defiant look and before she could throw a book at him, Harry swiftly caught her hand and gave her a look. A look that made her heartbeat rapidly.