6. Returning and Not Belonging

Maddy's POV:
----

"M-Maddy! Help me!"

My eyes snapped open when I heard the familiar cry. I sat up from the cloud, looking around as my heart began to race. There were many times where I could hear her calling out for me in the back of my head, but this time felt more real. Like she was actually here.

I settled back down and shook my head, trying to forget about it and blame it all on my imagination. Until I heard the voice cry out for me again, sounding more desperate than before.

I knew I was probably setting myself up for disappointment by doing this. But I spread my wings, following the cry as my panic grew. I looked around closely and shakily, ignoring the strange looks I received from the townspeople who watched me.

I flew over the castle wall, and that's when I saw her. Curled up in a trembling ball and illuminated by the moonlight, laid my little sister.

My eyes widened as I almost stumbled in the air, wings spread to steady myself before I quickly flew down to her. "Bosco!"

Her head raised, eyes half closed and her skin covered in scars. "M-Maddy?" She tried to pull herself up only to weakly fall to the ground again.

"Bosco-" I scooped her small frame up in my arms, holding her as close as possible as tears ran down my cheeks. She looked awful, dark wounds littering her body. She shook in my arms, wings limp at her sides. "H-How did you?-"

"It w-was awful Maddy..." She cried against my shoulder. "S-So scary. So much darkness and sadness and hurt. C-Cried everyday for you until I g-got out and came h-here..."

My heart shattered as I listened to her, flapping my wings and raising the both of us up. "I'm so sorry..."

"Not your fault..." She whispered, holding onto me for dear life. "Would've gotten hurt too." She started to shiver more, trying to cover herself up with her feathers. "S-So cold..."

"I know, I know. Come on, I'm taking you to get help." I said softly, carrying her in my arms to the inside of the castle. I glanced down at her, looking into her eyes. They should've been star filled, like mine were. Like all of ours were. But her eyes were dark and shadowy. It was scary and off putting.

I ignored it, telling myself it was just an effect of what she had to go through. I held her close, cradling her as I passed by concerned guards. "You're okay now, Bosco. You're going to be okay."

Jasmine's POV
----

I leaned against the arm of the throne, keeping my eyes on the moon as Orion busied herself by practicing what I taught her. Camden twirled herself above us, happily talking about their little "adventure" they had gone on that day.

"It was so pretty there, Jasmine." She squealed, hugging a cloud to her chest. "You should've seen all the flowers and how beautiful they all were. And the sun was so warm against my wings and the sky was such a pretty blue-"

"If you keep going on like that you won't be helping them in daylight again!" I snapped, tired of hearing her rant and rave about it. "You don't live under the sun, stop acting like you do!"

Camden flinched and stared down at me, and even Orion jumped and looked over in concern. I froze, immediately regretting my words. I watched as Camden lowered herself back to the floor. "Cammie I didn't-"

Before I could apologize, the doors to the throne room opened and Maddy stepped inside, holding a shivering bundle in her arms and wings. I tilted my head, standing up from the throne and taking a step down. "Maddy...?"

"My sister." She said softly, pulling her wings away to reveal the small girl who laid in her arms. Her head raised slightly, and she turned to meet my eyes.