Chapter 4

Did Pitch lie to me?

The thought was shoved from my mind as quickly as it had come. He wouldn't do that. He loved me. What reason did he have to lie?

I shook my head and focused on the situation at hand, I would have to tell Pitch about this later. He'd be trilled that more people can see us.

"Come here, Jack. Let's sit down." Tooth directed me to a nearby rock and the small group took seats around me.

I was still partially in shock. My head was swimming with questions.

"You're the one who always gets a kick out of making a blizzard on Easter, aren't you?" The bunny said indignantly.

I furrow my brows and shake my head. Easter rang a bell, but I never knew it was important, "I ... Well, I'm sorry." Is all I could fumble out of my mouth.

The rabbit shook his head and looked at North. The big man smiled at me gently, "I'm surprised I haven't met you before. How long have you been a spirit?"

I looked down at my hands and shrugged slightly. "300 years or so."

North shook his head and sighed, "Wow, that's quite a while, Jack. Where have you been hiding?"

I dodged the question, not wanting to talk about Pitch for some reason, and asked one of my own. "How many of you are there?"

Tooth smiled and gestured around, "We're the only guardians there are. But spirits like you? There are dozens. We're like one big family, kind of."

I furrowed my brows. How had I never heard of any of them? Pitch goes out all the time, how had he never seen any of them? How have I been so alone for 300 years when I've been surrounded by people?

A gentle touch glided across my neck, picking out the hand-shapdd bruise Pitch had left. My brain flashed back to the moments I was completely deprived of oxygen and struggling for my life.

I jerked away violently and stared at Pitch with a bewildered expression. Her eyes held the same.

"Is that a bruise, Jack? Did someone hurt you?" Tooth asked gently, her eyes filled with sincerity.

I shook me head, "No, he loves me."

I was confused. This is how you showed someone you loved them. All of the pain and the bruises were just a sign of how much. She should know that.

Tooth exchanged an expression with the other before she placed her hand on my leg. The touch was unwarranted and I couldn't handle it. It was too close. Too close to what Pitch did. He's the only one who can touch me that way.

I jerked out of her touch and stood, walking away from the group. I looked to the sky, calling to the wind.

"Hey," the large man called, "Come back some time, would you?"

I didn't answer, my stomach was writhing with questions that my heart didn't want to answer. I let the wind hoist me up and take me back to the lair. When I got there, Pitch was standing outside the entrance with his arms crossed.

He was annoyed, I could tell. I deserved it too, I should've told him where I was going, he was probably worried sick.

He grabbed my arm and pulled me inside quickly.

Little bit of a shorter chapter here. I hope it's not boring so far.

I'm writing this because for some reason, writing random stories always helps my creativity. Does it work that way for anyone else?