GOD JUL!*

*Merry Christmas!

Sierra never imagined she would spend the end of the year festivities somewhere other than in France. It was the first Christmas without Jacob, and the woman felt a considerable dose of melancholia as she looked out of the window.

She and Jacob had never spent Christmas apart. Even as adults, they met weekly. The pastor endorsed many roles in the woman's life, and it wasn't easy to live without knowing him near.

Jonas was there, but for Sierra, her husband could not compensate for Jacob's absence and vice versa.

The streets were already lit though it was early. The Swedish winter was harsh for someone as sensitive to sunlight as Sierra. Her pregnancy didn't arrange things as her humor was a constant yoyo she tried to tame.

There, she contemplated the decorations. The Swedish didn't neglect the festivities. Sierra discovered the many traditions the swedes followed. From Julskyltningen, where stores set up their Christmas windows with enchanting cheery decorations, St Lucy, where women paraded with white dresses and a crown of candles to commemorate Lucy of Syracuse, who brought food to Christians in the Roman catacombs. She wore candles on her head, so her hands were free to carry as much food as possible.

Sierra also got a good dose of Kalle Anka och Hans Vänner Önskar God Jul [from us to you], a Disney Christmas show that bundles everyone's favorite characters. The broadcasting tradition that began in the 1960s was still a must-see show; thus, Sierra rewatched all her Disney classics, from Fantasia to Sleeping Beauty, throughout the month.

"Are you ready?" Jonas said as his hands slid around his wife's waist. The father-to-be was on cloud nine since Sierra told him she was pregnant. The perspective of having another child with Sierra filled the man with such joy none of his reactions did his emotions justice. Jonas wished to scream it from every rooftop but held back.

It seemed his wife, and he didn't share the same level of euphoria. Sierra refrained from showing any signs of excitement. Again, it wasn't like she was out of character. Sierra was a collected woman. Jonas put her lack of enthusiasm on account of the first trimester. The period was challenging for Sierra, who experienced almost all of the much-dreaded sequences.

Nausea, sleepless nights, aversion to smells and foods, rare were the moments where she could rest, and when she did, something always came up, yet she didn't complain nor displayed signs of frustration.

With Sierra, Jonas saw how it was to be with someone resembling him. He, too, wasn't one to make noise or bicker. Hence the already observant man doubled up on the attention.

"Yes, I'm ready," Sierra said and turned to face him. There was no bump yet, but Sierra's plumped face betrayed a slight weight gain.

The couple had tacitly agreed to remain silent concerning her pregnancy until the end of the first trimester. Their behavior was typical; many couples did the same as the first trimester was the riskiest, and many complications could occur. Most couples chose to keep quiet to avoid getting family and friends excited.

Jonas kissed the tip of her nose, and Sierra went to put Leone's and her coat.

Though his parent's house was close, Jonas took his car. The weather was too cold for Sierra, and Jonas didn't want to tire her with bike riding.

"What will we do if someone notices?" The woman asked during the short ride.

Sierra worried. She had a weird feeling that things wouldn't go as expected.

Jonas turned to face her "we'll improvise."

They got out of the car, Jonas took Leone, and Rufus led the way to Sierra's in-laws' house.