RING IT

Leone's tiny snores filled the room. His head rested on Sierra's lap.

The day was a long one. Sierra was the last parent at daycare.

The boy sulked but warmed up to her cuddle. Everything was fine; this mom always came for him. Visions of Cecile were blurry; only in his dreams did he see her. She would sing songs and dance with him in her arms.

Why did she fall asleep?

Didn't she want to see him anymore?

On Sierra's lap, Leone dreamt of a tune only she hummed.

Sierra caressed his hairline. His presence still managed to astonish her. One day she was a career-oriented woman only living for leases and test drives, and the next, she was parachuted as a mom.

All happened so suddenly, and it radically changed her life. Thanks to Leone, the woman met Jonas.

She wondered what the man was doing. It wasn't too late to call.

During the last two weeks, Jonas was distant Sierra understood Lars took up all Jonas' thinking space.

Lars pleaded guilty. They proceeded the way his lawyer advised. Now they waited to see if the judge would accept the probation request.

Sierra picked up her phone. Conversations with Jonas these days consisted of listening. She put aside her struggles to cheer and support him.

Jacob's words constantly rang in her ears. Jonas needed help.

It was her turn to embrace Jonas at this moment, and even if she just wanted to wallow and complain, Sierra prepped her brightest smile for the call.

"Hello."

Jonas's camera remained turned off.

It was a first. Still, Sierra carried on instead of pondering on it.

"Hi."

"How are you?"

There was a silence. Jonas's voice came out distorted.

"Can you hear me?" Jonas asked.

"Yes, I can, but there are all these crackling sounds."

The woman barely distinguished Jonas's sorry.

"Are you busy? If you can't speak, I can call you back later or tomorrow."

"Eh, yeah, let's do that."

Jonas hung up, leaving Sierra perplexed, and it wasn't long before the woman felt vexed.

She got up and carried Leone to his room.

He almost slept till the morning, and it wasn't rare for Sierra to wake up finding Leone talking to the rhino and bear teddys in his cradle.

Leone was a patient child who didn't throw tantrums. The trait was strong like his father's. Jonas was an extremely patient and caring man.

Again the phone call she had earlier popped into her mind.

Was Jonas okay?

Panic seized Sierra as she began to think the impossible. Perhaps the man got cold feet and didn't want to marry her.

Jonas was so polite that maybe he could not call it off, so it created this awkward stance.

Sierra entered, returned to the living room, and grabbed a book she read till her eyes were sore with stress and fatigue.

The woman didn't realize how tired she was, but she dreamt a sweet dream where Jonas carried her from her couch to her bedroom. He then sat on the bed and watched her sleep. He pushed a strand of hair from her face before grabbing and kissing the knuckles of her hand before leaning to whisper, "how I missed you."