Chapter 7

When it comes time to go, you leave Leah asleep in your guys' bed. You're actually pretty glad she's still asleep; you can't imagine she would be too happy that you plan to hang out with Becky tonight.

It doesn't really matter what she thinks, though. You are your own man, and you can make responsible decisions. Becky probably isn't going to try and hook up with you. Maybe.

You meet with Becky at around 6, and when the two of you get into your car, you realize that no one bothered to make dinner plans.

"We could go to like, Applebee's," you suggest. They probably have a promotion going on where you can get cheap beers, and you like cheap beers.

"On a date night? Nah," Becky replies with a grin. Alright, cheeky little fucker. "How about Red Lobster?"

"Meh. Wanna get Subway and go sit in a park?" Honestly, that kind of sounds like the vibe. Becky doesn't disagree, so sandwiches it is.

The way a person orders their Subway sandwich reveals a lot about their character. For example, Becky orders a chicken wrap with lettuce, tomato, and bacon in it. She basically ordered a chicken BLT wrap... not bad. Based on that you can assume she's not too complicated; more of a simple girl that can go wild if she wants to.

You order two foot-longs with all eggs, cheese, and all the meats... what does that say about YOUR character? Oh yeah, and you got two raspberry cheesecake cookies to go along with it.

She looks at you with your two monster sandwiches and can't help but giggle a little.

"Are y' sure tha's gon' be 'nuff food fer ya, big man?" she asks sweetly as the two of you head out to the rental.

"Nah, I might have to make a pit stop on the way back to the hotel." The car ride over to the park is full of this playful banter, and even once you're stationed at the bottom of the slide prepared to eat, it doesn't stop.

"Look at ye, wit' all tha' meat," she says in mock disgust as you take a big bite of the first sandwich.

You fire back with, "I thought you liked a lot of meat."

"Not all meats... I only eat th' ones I like."

"So then..." You grin and hold out your sandwich. In response to this, she locks eyes with you and takes the sandwich. Her eyes never leave yours while she takes a bite... aw fuck.

"Does tha' answer yer quest'n?" she says,  cracking a smile at the fact that she's wiped yours clean off your face.

"That, and a few more," you say, still relatively speechless. You're a taken man. You're a taken man. You're a taken man...

"I thought so." Becky seems satisfied with the results of your joke backfiring, so she hands the sandwich back and eats the last few bites of her wrap.

The rest of 'dinner' goes reasonably well; the two of you get up to speed, and she gives you her new phone number. Yeah, apparently she went completely off the grid and even changed her number.

As the night comes to a close, you find yourself sitting cross-legged across from Becky, who's just taking in the night sky.

"Ye don' see th' stars much anymore nowadays, do ya?" she says, but it sounds more like thinking aloud. It almost sounds like she's talking less about the sky, and more about something else.

"I guess not."

"People ruin lots o' things, includin' other people. Ev'n th' best o' us get a little cloudy sometimes." That's a bit of an odd statement, especially considering she's looking at stars.

Stars... people... like, superstars? Is she talking about you and your coworkers? And what does she mean by "get a little cloudy"?

"Rebecca, is there something I should know?" A little concern shows in your voice, but she doesn't look down from the sky. Her finger traces little lines along the stars, as if she's trying to piece together a constellation.

"It'll be better if I jus' show ya."

"Show me wha-!" Quicker that you can react, Becky's leans forward and kisses your lips. You're so stunned that you barely react, and she pulls away before you can move.

"Yer not as good as I remember," she chuckles, transfixed by your surprised expression.

"Last time I had fair warning," you chuckle. "You still feel that way about me?"

"Never stopped. I thought goin' away would fix how I felt about ye, but it didn't solve nothin'."

"Rebecca... I can't..."

"I know about ye and Leah... I just wanted to give ye some closure," she responds quietly. "To let ya know tha' night wasn' jus' some heat-o'-the-moment t'ing I did 'cause o' Colby."

Fuck, you almost want to grab her and kiss her back, but that's not a good idea and you know it. You and Becky was not only a thing of that past, but it was a one-time thing as well.

"Becky... if you would have stayed..." You trail off, neglecting to finish your sentence. It's fine; both of you know what you were about to say.

"I t'ink about tha' morning ev'ry day... writin' tha' note while I watched ye sleep... I wish I woulda slipped back into bed," she sighs. She leans forward again, but this time she wraps you up in a light hug.

Neither of you say anything else for a long time. It was really only 20-30 minutes, but the tension in the air made it feel like hours. It's not that you don't want to make love to Becky right here in the middle of the park, it's that you're better than that. If you were single you'd do it in a heartbeat, but you're not so you can't.

Eventually Becky points out that the two of you should get going, so you file back into your car and drive her back to her hotel.

"T'anks for tonight, Y/N," she says quietly. You look over at her and try not to stare. She's so fucking beautiful it hurts, and there isn't a damn thing you can do about it.

"Of course. See you around, Becky."