𝐎𝐍𝐄

The cries from the skies poured down harshly in the wee hours of the morning while I slowly made my way around my small home getting ready to start another long day at work

I lounged around in my pink silk robe with fur trimmings as I absentmindedly listened to the news that played on the tv I had mounted in my kitchen while I fixed me some iced coffee, a new habit I picked up from TikTok.

"The police are asking anyone who may have any tips about the inmate who escaped last week while in transit to a mental health facility to call CrimeStoppers." The African American news anchor said, "Remember if you come in contact with the inmate he is considered armed and dangerous."

I finished off my coffee and headed to my bedroom. I threw on my work essentials: black scrub set, black Apple Watch, black blinged out crocs. After running the flat irons thru my hair, I stuffed everything needed into my black Chanel and put on my black puffer jacket.

I was now in the warm comfort of my 2020 Benz making my way down the gloomy streets of Jacksonville on the way to the office where I held a position as an Ultrasound Tech. The melodic sounds of Lil Durk's Denied in UK played throughout the car and I was singing it wholeheartedly until I heard a thud.

My heart began to pound once I realized I had hit someone. I immediately hopped out the car as thunder began roaring. I kneeled down at the male who was clothed in all black, "I'm sorry! Are you okay? Please tell me you're okay?"

He said nothing so I thought he was really hurt and began to look around for someone to help us. It was still dawn out so not that many people were out. I looked back down once I heard groaning. I went to pull his hoodie off his head when a hard smack was inflicted on my hand.

"Get the fuck away from me!" He angrily spat at me which caused me to jump a little.

"A-Are you sure? I-I mean I can take you to the hospital so th—" I started but was rudely cut off by his sitting up and pushing me off of him.

"Didn't I just tell you to get the fuck away from me?" He groaned as he struggled to get off the ground, "I don't need yo' fucking help."

Being the sensitive human being I was, I watched with teary eyes as he slowly but surely got on the sidewalk and disappeared into the darkness. I climbed back into my car thinking what a way to start the day.

A bored look displayed on my face as I clocked out of my 12 hour shift. I had been distracted all day by the thought that the man I had hit this morning was somewhere laid out and dead.

"Girl tomorrow is Saturday and we both get off early." Taylor, my coworker and friend, said as we walked out out of work together, "What we getting into?"

"That California King that's in my room." I joked as I searched in my purse for my keys.

"I'm throwing tomatoes." She rolled her eyes at me, "You haven't been out with me in a minute."

"The last time I went somewhere with you I scraped my knee to the white meat and had somebody else's blood on my dress." I explained and pressing the unlock button on my keypad as we got closer to my car.

"You can't lie the party ain't lit if somebody don't shoot it up. But don't worry, you gone regret it when you see me on snap throwing this ass." She stopped to bend over and twerk not caring that it was sprinkling out here.

"Bye Tay!" I laughed as I climbed into my car and started the engine. I rode in silence as I made a bee line to the trenches of Jacksonville where my grandmother refused to leave. She was everyone's grandma. The hood went hard for Mrs.Scott.

"Is that you munchkin?" My granny called out from the kitchen as I walked inside the house.

The smell of home-cooking and incense filled my nose. Every time I came to my granny's I felt all my worries go away.

"Ms.Lady, didn't I tell you to start locking this door?" I eyed her as I went into the kitchen.

"Chile I ain't worried about nobody coming in here on me." She kissed my cheek, "You get prettier everyday."

I smiled widely showcasing my newly placed braces. I waited until I was grown as hell to get them, "What we eating tonight?"

"Go sit down and I'll make you a plate." She shooed me off before I could peek into the pots.

"Granny I heard you be having some man running in and out of here. Not you out here being fast at 63." I laughed as placed my puffer on the back of my chair.

"I don't tell my relationship business to single women." She shaded as she sat my plate down in front of me, "when you get a man, I'll tell you about mine."

I laughed at the thought as I spooned some food in my mouth. I have been single for 3 years now after my boyfriend decided that he wanted to go focus on his self or whatever the hell that means.

"Speaking of men, I hit someone today and he wouldn't let me help him." I poked out bottom lip, "now the overthinker in me think he somewhere dead."

"After all these years of hitting curbs and mailboxes, yo' non driving ass finally done hit a person?" She shook her before sitting across from me, "was it bad? Was he bleeding?"

"When I went to pull his hoodie off, he snapped at me." I told her before drinking my sweet tea, "they gone find my fingerprints on his hoodie and I'm gone go to jail." I told you my mind will literally take something and run with it.

"Girl hush yo' scary tail self up. You tried to help. Now all you can do is pray that God watches over him." She said reaching out to give my comfort by grabbing my hand.

"I love you, old woman." I smiled toothlessly.

"Now eat up chile. My man on the way to get his plate." She said causing me showcase the metal in my mouth.

"Not you trying to put me out. I thought I was yo' favorite person in the world." I placed a hand over my heart acting like I was hurt.

"Like I said, get you a man." She pointed at me, "and you'll see that things change."

I was leaving out of my granny's when a figure painfully walking into the abandoned house a couple doors down caught my attention. I immediately paused all actions and contemplated with myself.

"Please don't let curiosity kill the cat." I silently prayed to the man in the sky before killing the engine of my car and slowing creeping towards the house.

I made it to the the front door and noticed that the door was missing. I peeked my head in and didn't see anything. My plan of being quiet was ruined by the creaking of the wooden floor. At this moment I knew I fucked up. This man was gone pop up and snap my fucking neck.

I walked through what would be the living room until I got to the hallway and searched throughout the house. I peeked in the last room on the right and made a stank face at the piss smell that hit my nose.

"I need to go lay the hell down cause I know I seen somebody walk in here." I sighed after peeking through all the rooms and finding no one.

I turned on my heels and was met with a body making me drop my keys and phone before the body of my own froze.

"Fuck is you doing in hea'?"