18

Miranda: Hey honey. There is a Star Wars exhibit at the end of the week, I just wanted to know if you wanted to go with me? Then maybe we can get dinner afterwards.

Ben: Hey baby. What day is it?

Miranda: Thursday and Friday. It doesn't matter which day for me?

Ben: Okay, I'm going to check my schedule, but I think Friday would be good.

Miranda: Okay. I'm excited. Love you!

Ben: Love you too.

Friday came quickly and Miranda sat on the bed waiting on Ben to get home. She was already dressed in a white blouse, jeans, and brown heels that tie up. She did her make-up and curled her hair. She wanted to be casual but dressy since they were going out to dinner afterwards.

Eventually Miranda grew tired of waiting and she figured he must have forgot. She had already called his phone twice.

Grabbing her keys and purse before driving to the fire station. She parked her car and got out to go inside.

Miranda opened the front door and saw the front desk empty. She walked over and peaked her head inside the door behind the front desk. Opening it she stood in the entry way and watched them. She saw them pulling hoses, running back and forth in a line. Others were carrying mannequins. Her guest they represented victims from a fire.

Vic tapped Ben to get his attention and he looked up at Miranda in the doorway. When he saw her outfit. He cursed.

"Shit." Ben mumbled standing still interrupting the drill. He walked over to Miranda trying to think of something to say before he reached her.

"Miranda I completely forgot and I'm so sorry. I can go change and leave early."

"No. I can go by myself." She dejected.

"Miranda it's not even going to take me 15 minutes." Ben said seriously taking his helmet off. He looked into her eyes and of course her big brown eyes showed how she felt exactly. She was hurt, angry and sad.

"No it's fine. You're working." Miranda insisted.

"Baby I-" he started to protest.

"Benjamin I'm okay. I said it's fine. I will see you when I get home or when you do." She snapped walking away from him.

Miranda walked to her car and got inside blowing out a breath, tears threatening to fall. She was angry with him, but she was going to let it go. She stood him up for work plenty of times in their marriage and this is his first time compared to her dozen.

She looked over at her purse that was vibrating because of her phone. At first she was going to ignore it thinking that it was her husband, but decided against it because it could be Teddy who graciously offered to watch her kids for a few hours.

Seeing Andrew's name she picked up the phone.

"Hey." She answered.

"Hey. I was just calling to see if you ever decided to go to the exhibit."

"Oh I'm sorry. I thought I did respond to your text message. I am going. I'm actually on the way now."

"Me too."

"Ok see you there." Miranda responded hanging up.

She went to the exhibit and had a great time. She took pictures of everything and was surprised of Andrew's knowledge. It was fun to actually have a conversation with someone who knew what she was talking about.

After it was over and she Andrew were pretty much the last to leave. She left to go get her babies. Miranda stood on Teddy's porch and rung her door. Teddy came to the door and she looked slightly confused.

"You're early, I thought you and Ben were going on a date and then --."Teddy trailed off wiggling her eyebrows.

"He had to work." Miranda mumbled. "So I figured I'd come get my lady bug's early. "

"I'm sorry." Teddy frowned. "Come in, have a glass of wine with me and dinner we had chicken stuffed with spinach, rice, and rolls."

"Okay." Miranda smiled sitting her purse on the table by the front door.

"You're still breastfeeding?"

"Yes, I’m going to pump and dump tonight."

"You know you don't have too. After one glass of wine just wait for at least two hours so you BAC is low and it wont interfere with the milk. How long do you plan to breastfeed?"

"Until next month after that I'm not, because I can't anymore. She has a lot in the freezer so after that’s gone then I’ll do formula. "

"I feel you after I had Alison. It was too much. Did you know the AAP recommends that you do it for--"

"15 months." Miranda nodded.

"We're surgeon's." Teddy stressed rolling her eyes.
"I know it."

"You look sad."

"I'm just thinking. I really miss him." Miranda whined.
"Did you tell him that?"

"What am I supposed to say, cut back your hours at work."

"No, but why is he working so much in the first place? He's never worked this much  before."

"I don't know. I guess I'll ask him that."

Miranda ate dinner and talked some more with Teddy until she grew tired.

"Thanks for tonight."

'I'm happy to watch them again anytime. Alison loves Pru and I'm enjoying Maddy."

"Okay thanks." Miranda smiled as she strapped Madelyn's car seat in and Teddy strapped Pru into hers.

"Good night Miranda."

"You too."

Miranda drove home silently thinking, while she had the music on low. She pulled up beside Ben's car in the driveway and rolled her eyes. She knew she didn't want to argue tonight and hopefully it didn't come down to that.

Ben was sitting on the couch in the living room when he saw Miranda's car pull into the driveway. He stood up to help her with the girls. She looked up when the front door opened up and Ben came outside in black sweatpants and a shirt.

He got Pru out along with both diaper bags and Miranda carried Madelyn inside.

"You can take Pru to our room. I'm going to give them both a bath." Miranda stated walking upstairs.

Ben carried the sleeping toddler upstairs behind his wife. He looked at her walking in her heels and he shook his head. He knew he needed to apologize again just for the simple fact that she had on heels and she hated them.

Miranda ran some water for Pru and put the baby tub in as well. After making sure it was a good temperature she undressed her and Maddy. Ben carried Maddy and sat her in the baby tub while Miranda put Pru in the water sleep and all. She held her body as she washed her up, laughing at her whining because she was going in and out of sleep due to Miranda waking her.

"I'm sorry honey. I'm almost done." Miranda told her sweetly before rinsing her hair.

Miranda grabbed the towel on the side of her and wrapped her up tightly, pulling her into her lap.

After both girls were clean. They dressed them and Ben put Pru into her bed. He came back in the room and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Baby I'm sorry that-"

"I don't want to talk." Miranda said seriously cutting him off.

"Miranda-"

"Ben please. Not right now." she said feeding Madelyn a bottle and pumping her breast.

Ben nodded and just went to go take a shower.

"I ran you a bath." He told her coming in the room. Maddy was in her crib sleep. He saw her on the baby monitor that was sitting on Miranda's night stand.

"Thank you." Miranda said putting the milk in the mini fridge in their room.

She took a long bath and then dressed in pajama pants and the matching shirt.

Ben was laying on the bed waiting on her, when she walked back into their room she look the other way so she wouldn't meet his eyes.

"Miranda I'm so sorry." He said sitting up. "I can't apologize enough."

"I said it was fine. Can I really be mad? I've done the same thing to you countless times."

"Yes you can be mad. You have a right to." Ben stated. He moved to the edge of the bed and began rubbing her feet. "I lost track of my days. You looked beautiful tonight."

"Thank you." She smiled.

"Did you have fun? Tell me about it."

"I did have fun. Baby it was so cool. we thought at first it was just going to be a costume exhibit, but it was much more.  They were showcasing all the collectables, sculptures, life size figures, lightsabers, blasters, the helmets, mask and ships. I took pictures of everything." She gushed grabbing her phone.

She showed him the pictures of the showcases and her in them. He let her go on and on about everything she saw and did and how it was her dream come true and he felt bad that he wasn't there to witness it.

After she finished talking Ben laid down beside her.

"Thanks for the foot rub. I haven't had one of those in a while."

"It's been awhile." He admitted.

"It really has. I miss you." Miranda said biting her lip.

"I miss you too." Ben said rubbing her arm.

"I never see you anymore. I'm not taking anything away from you, you are an excellent father, you are there for each and everyone of our kids. You pick up my slack, but I never see you. You leave early in the morning and then I come home late at night. Then if I leave early in the morning, you come home late at night." She explained flipping over to look at him.

"I'm sorry Miranda." Ben responded rubbing his face.

"I'm not blaming you. I just miss you. Like right now it's 1 in the morning and you look so tired. Your eyes."

"I am." He admitted.

"What are you doing?" Miranda asked rubbing his face.

"They are getting ready to close station 23, so the chief has been having us train and work with the other firefighters, we can only have a certain amount at our station, the others will be moved around the city. They are sending majority of their calls to us."

"Damn why are they closing them down and How much longer?"

"For budget cuts. SFD is in debt. I honestly don't know how long it's going to take. It could be a few weeks or a month."

"They are overworking you. Are you sleeping enough, eating enough?" Miranda asked feeling protective.

"I'm fine. It shouldn't be much longer."

"I hope not."

It was Saturday morning, and Ben decided to kill two birds with one stone by getting a workout in and going to the park to play, while Miranda went to the gym. He dressed Madelyn in a white onsie that had a watermelon on it and gorgeous up under the watermelon in cursive. Then pink shorts and white sucks.

He let Pru pick her own outfit and smiled when she came back with white shorts that had white and yellow flowers on it, and a yellow shirt to match that had little miss sassy pants in cursive. That much was true he thought to himself.

He sat her on the bed and walked to go get her hair stuff from out of her room. They walked into the bathroom together and she stood on her stool.

Ben held up the products confused on what exactly to use.

"Does Mama Miranda use this?" He asked the toddler and she nodded.

Ben read the labels Eco style. Professional styling gel. The other container read smooth curl butter gel. He wanted to call his wife for the instructions, but he figured he could do this without interrupting her work out.

"Which one?" He asked holding both up to her. Pru pointed to the smooth curl butter gel, so Ben sat the other container of green gel down.

"I can do this." Ben mumbled picking up the comb.

He opened the gel and rubbed some in his hands, then applied it to her hair. Using the comb he parted her hair in the front going across separating the hair at the hairline, then he twisted it into a thick rope flat twist, working toward one side. Pulling the rest of the hair back into a neat little ponytail. He grabbed a yellow barrette and clip it to the end of her twist.

"That looks good." Ben told Pru and she nodded and smiled.

"You like it?" He asked.

"Yes." Pru answered hopping down off the stool.

Ben put Pru in her room and Maddy in her nursery so he could get dress. He pulled his sleeveless men work out tank on and a pair of black gym shorts. Packing the jogging stroller, some snacks, and bottles of water into his car and off they went.

As he ran his standard 5 miles around the park, he couldn't help but smile when he'd heard his daughter squeal, giggle and clap her hands as she felt the wind on her face and saw the things zooming by her.  Madelyn was facing him in the double stroller and Pru was strapped in facing the other way. She was laughing and pointing at things that they pass as he jogged.

Ben stopped for a moment to take a breath and fix his shoe. Hearing his wife’s loud obnoxious laugh, he looked around to find her. He knew that laugh from anywhere. She only used it when something was genuinely funny and normally at home with him or reserve for her friends.

He looked over and down onto the trail that was not too far from the one he was on. The two trails were on different inclines. He was up much higher and that trail was close to the edge of the lake. He didn't jog that one because he had the girls.

Ben watched his wife laugh and jogged with a man that he couldn't recognize since his back was to him. He thought she said she was going to the gym. He started his jogging again and ran to keep up with them for a bit. Watching, but not being seen.

He was trying not to be bothered by this, but she didn't tell the truth and there was a man that she was smiling and laughing with. She was comfortable with someone and not to mention she had those tight ass leggings on and a tank top.

Ben eventually stopped watching her it was wrong, and he didn't want Pru to recognize her because If she did, she was going to scream her name. He just decided to go over to the park area. When he finally pulled up to the playground area, he had barely stopped before Pru was trying to climb her way out of the stroller.

"Hold on, baby. I have to unbuckle you," he reminded her, taking her shades, which she miraculously was able to keep up with the whole time.

"Play, play," she chanted.

Laughing, he finally released her. "Stand right here. While I get Rainbow into her carrier."

Ben got her in and situated and began following (being pulled) by Pru to the swing set. Setting her in the seat, he walked behind her and began pushing her, "Fly to sky," she squealed.

"If your mommy found out I was pushing you any higher, she would have my head."

"First Anesthesiologist, next surgeon, then firefighter, now babysitter?" a familiar voice said from behind him.

Startled, Ben turned his neck to the voice and smiled, but was brought back to Pru when she started giggling and asked to go higher. Grabbing ahold of the seat, he stopped her so he could talk for a minute.

"I'm not a babysitter these are my kids."

"Aww they are so cute. The both of them." Deja smiled.

"Thanks."

"Push!" Pru demanded again.

"You have the temperance of mommy." He said seriously pushing her.

"What are you doing here?" Ben asked.

"Taking Pepper for a walk." She told him holding the leash to still her puppy.

"I didn't even know you had a dog."

"I got her a few months back."

"She's a miniature Aussiedoodle right."

"Exactly right. A future dog owner?"

"Oh no, my wife doesn't do pets or animals of any kind for that matter."

"Your wife. I still haven't met her."

"She comes to the station a lot, but she is busy. She is the chief of Grey Sloan. You will meet her at the welcoming of new team members family dinner though."

Ben looked down at Madelyn's reddening face and she started whimpering. Her subtle way of letting him know that she was hungry and going to cry in a few seconds.

"Okay Maddy daddy is going to feed you." He told her. "You want apple sauce." He cooed.

He let go of Pru's swing and she looked back glaring at him.

"Do you mind if I push you?"

Pru scrunched her nose up and looked at her shaking her head no

"Okay how about I feed Maddy the apple sauce and you push." Deja laughed.

"Okay thanks." Ben laughed too before unstrapping her. Deja took Madelyn and her bag and sat on the park bench that was two feet behind them.

Leaving the park, Ben got home and was glad both girls were down for a long nap. He put Maddy in her crib and Pru in bed.

In the bathroom after showering and dressing he heard their bedroom door open up.

"Hey baby how was the gym and your workout." Ben asked standing in the mirror in the bathroom. He honestly just wanted to know what she was going to say.

"My workout was good, but I uh didn't go to gym. I went to the park, so I could jog the trail. I ran into Madison's dad. I have been working out with him in the morning during the week, but I ran into him today." She told him.

"Oh really?" How is he?" Ben asked blowing out a breath and frowning. She was working out with him.

He sat down on their bed and looked at her as she reach into her dresser drawer for something to wear after her shower. He assumed.

"He's doing good. Better than expected. I would still be in the house if something happened to you." Miranda stated.

"I would too. I don't know what I would do without you." Ben said seriously grabbing her thighs.

Miranda looked down at him and scooted closer walking between his legs. She straddled his lap, pushing him back onto the bed.

Ben grabbed her face and kissed her lips hungrily. Miranda kissed him back passionately as well. Her nipples got hard instantly and she started grinding up and down on him, bringing him to an erection. He groaned at her constant motion.

Miranda pulled her shirt over her head tossing it to the floor. Ben caressed her breast through her sports bra and reached for the zipper in the front of it. He pulled it down and bit his lip at the sight of her breast, as her bra fell away.

Miranda moaned at the feel of him licking them. Ben sat up some with her so he could remove his shirt. Tossing it to the floor, he grabbed onto the waist band of her leggings.

"Yes." Miranda said to herself. "Finally."

Ben didn't even get a chance to pull them down when they heard her pager.

"Oh my God no." Miranda whined wiping her hands over her face.

"Ignore it." Ben said seriously licking her nipple enticing her.

"I can't it's an emergency." She huffed.