Chapter 17

Kipo arrived at school for her first actual day back. It's been a week since the Emilia situation. Kipo looked over at Wolf with a smile. The two climbed out of the car, followed by Leo.

They went straight to the office. The lady behind the counter offered a weak smile at Kipo and then went back to work.

"I'll be in my class." Leo kissed Kipo's head. Then ruffled Wolf's head before leaving the office.

Kipo smiled at her, as she fixed her poofy hair. As soon as Wolf let her arms drop Kipo messed it up again. Wolf glared at Kipo and fixed her hair again.

"Hey Kipo," Molly greeted walking out of the principal's office.

Kipo smiled at the woman. With everyone treating her like she's about to break into tinny glass pieces. It's refreshing for one thing to stay the same.

"Hi, Molly. This is Wolfantha," Kipo introduced the girl.

"Cool name. Now come on, don't wanna be late for class," she said opening the door. Kipo pulled Wolf with them.

"Meet me out front for lunch," Kipo said, before rushing off to class.

Kipo listened to the teacher talking. She'd catch the gaze of her classmates, then they'd look away. At least they're pretending to mind their own business.
________________

Kipo sat in her normal spot with the student-aid. Kipo silently picked at the apple in her hands waiting. Watching.

"Wolf!" Kipo called out to the girl.

She turned to Kipo. Wolf walked up to the two, then sat next to Kipo.

"Are you doing okay?" Wolf asked. Kipo shrugged.

"Hey, new girl!" A voice boomed from across the way. Everyone's eyes snapped to the kid. He glared at Kipo with a fire in his eyes.

"I'm tired of everyone walking on eggshells around you!" He stomped closer.

"First because you're a degenerate, and now because you went missing!"

Kipo grabbed Wolf's arm looking at the kid.

"If you weren't such a lowlife then maybe you'd have a family that loves you!" Cotton stepped up to the kid, trying to get him to leave. He just kept going. Kipo stood up brushing away the water in her eyes. She walked up to him with a smile.

"Thank you for sharing. Does anyone else feel that way?" Kipo looked around at all the people behind phones. No one said anything.

"I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's not true... Wolf?" Kipo looked back at the girl, then started walking into the school. Wolf and cotton followed. Kipo went straight to the Principals office and took her set, Wolf sitting next to her.

"Kipo..."

"I'm fine Wolf. He is in pain and needed someone to take it out on. Nothing personal," Kipo smiled.

"But it's not right."

"And retaliating is? Treating him like that, when his family already is. How is that right?"

Wolf went silent looking away from Kipo.

"Your too good for this world."

Kipo quietly laughed.

"Everyone is capable of unspeakable things. I need to believe that everyone is capable of good."

__________________

Kipo struggled through the rest of the school day. People weren't as cautious around her, but people were voicing their opinions.

As soon as Kipo got home she went straight to her room and pulled out the forsaken Journal. She sat at her desk twiddling a pencil as she stared at the blank pages. A hand against her forehead trying to think of something to write.