Chapter 12

"Kipo!"

"Kipo, wake up!"

Kipo lay in the middle of a steel cage. Sprawled against the metal floor as if she were dead. Wolf in a similar one close by, sat on her knees reaching out to Kipo. But wasn't close enough to reach.

"Kipo..." Wolf's voice broke as she slumped against the metal bars, a tear running down her cheek.

"She'll be up soon," a woman's voice called as she started down the stairs. Wolf glared at the blood headed woman

"What did you do to her?" Wolf shook the cage, making the woman laugh.

"Nothing yet, but I plan on conducting a lot of experiments," the woman said walking over to a table. She picked up a syringe full of a green liquid. Then started for Kipo.

"Stop!" Wolf called out grabbing for the woman.

"Oh. Because of this? All this does is lock away the jaguar. You are afraid of it, yes?"

Wolf's eyes fell at the woman's words. She smiled and started for Kipo again.

"Don't," the wolf said glaring at the woman again. She smiled at the young girl then kneeled in front of Kipo's cage.

"Then stop me," she said grabbing Kipo's arm.

Wolf thrashed against the cage trying to get it to inch over. The woman pushed the needle into Kipo's arm, plunging the liquid into her arm. With a satisfied smile, she pulled away from the girl and put the syringe in a small bag. The woman went back up the stairs

"Kipo!" Wolf called out desperately trying to wake the girl.

Soon the room fell quiet and Wolf sat starring at the girl. Watching as some of her joints twitched. Kipo's eyes slowly pulled open, as she stirred.

"Kipo!" Wolf called urging the girl awake.

She groaned out and pushed herself up. She sat against the bars of the cage blinking. Trying to get used to the light in the dim room.

"Wolf... where," Kipo weakly spoke her head nodding to the side.

"I don't know... some lady stuck you with something. She said it would block your... abilities," Wolf explained leaning against the bars facing her.

"I. I was gonna... Tell them..." tears started falling from Kipo's eyes, running down her cheeks.

"Hey, it's okay. We'll get out of here."

Wolf lied to herself.

Kipo chuckled out and wiped her tears away. Her moment of weakness pushed far into the back of her mind. She put on a brave face.

"Yeah, we'll be fine," Kipo muttered. Willing herself to believe it.

Kipo got up to her knees. Her head pressed against the top of the cage. She reached out to Wolf, urging her to reach out too. Slowly Wolf did so, and their fingertips latch together.

"No matter what happens, stay quiet," Kipo said looking into wolf's eyes.

"Promise me." Wolf gulped down and nodded.

Kipo tightened her grip on Wolf's fingers, in a silent plea.

"I promise."

Those words felt wrong on Wolf's tongue. It felt wrong that Kipo asked that of her. Even the look in Kipo's eyes felt wrong. But Wolf slipped from Kipo's grip as the older girl slumped back against the cage. Wolf did too.
___________________

The woman walked back down the stairs holding a thick rope in her hands. She smiled once she saw Kipo and walked over to her.

"Hands," the woman said glaring at Kipo. She pushed her hands out of the cage behind her.