Chapter 4

Kipo lives in the rural part of Las vistas. It's a smaller section separate from the big city las vistas is known for. It's basically small town that is close enough to the city to be classified as a part of Las vistas, but its really not.

Everyone who lives in the smaller section knows each other. Especially if you are in the same neighborhood. It's separated into two parts, because of how large it is. The west side is mostly new buildings that were added only 15 to 20 years ago. The east side is older. Constructed almost 60 years ago. The people from the newer parts think lowly of people from the older parts.

It's stupid and Kipo's blood boils thinking about it. She hates this line of thinking. It doesn't make sense. Just an excuse for conflict.
__________________

Kipo sat in the park that is only a block away from her house. There are a few kids from her old school on the playground. Kipo lightly swayed on a swing.

The first week of school went by without a hitch. No one talked to her. Everyone stayed as far away from her as possible. She is okay with that. It's better than everyone bugging her about what happened.

Kipo stood from the swing and started her way over to the Berdacs' house. She wants to start seeing her friends again. They live six blocks from Kipo. When they were younger she use to run over there every day after she got her homework done. The twins, her, and Troy would play games in their backyard treehouse.

One of their favorites was pirates. Kipo was the captain and Asher was the first mate. Dahlia and Troy were the enemy pirates and they'd fight for the treasure. It would normally be cookies or candy. Of course, whoever won would share the prize, but the bragging rights were there.

"Hey!" A loud voice pulled Kipo from her daydream.

She was only two blocks from her destination. She looked at the source of the sound and found an older man standing with two people behind him. They're all dressed in suits, and look like officials.

"What are you doing in our territory?" The frontman spoke. He has a small stash resting on his upper lip.

"What?"

"You heard me." He spat stepping closer to her.

"This is a public sidewalk." The man growled at her words. Glaring into her eyes.

"It's the Mod's territory. If you want to pass pay up," the man said holding his hand out.

This got Kipo's blood boiling. She has lived here her entire life. Walked these streets carefree. Now some old man is trying to take that from everyone.

"This is a public sidewalk," Kipo said in a lower voice.

A rage she'd recently learned to control bubbled in her chest. She held it down trying to avoid conflict. Kipo doesn't like conflict. It's one of the few things she hates.

"Last chance girly." Kipo clenched her jaw and started walking around the group. The two lackeys grabbed her by the arms and pushed her back.

"Wrong choice," the man said.

"I'm sorry," Kipo spoke so softly it was barely audible. The man chuckled, before being forced backward as a sharp stinging pain tickled his face.

"Get back," the girl from the school said glaring at the two holding Kipo's arms.

She is pointing a large thick metal stick at them. They laughed as the man grabbed at the pole. The girl spun around hitting the man across the face again. Slamming one of the ends into his chest and hitting his knee. He fell to the ground and she pointed it at the two again. They let Kipo go and ran off. The man called out to them.