PART 31: Confronting the Agreste

♡×♡×♡

Somehow, leaving the city of lights had gone from Felix's goal to the worst thing he could imagine. And he owed it all to a string of lies and the girl that told them. Even after going their separate ways for the night, he could still feel her hug, smell her perfume. He allowed himself to smile at the thought.

People were talking, whispering, speculating. He ignored them and successfully sneaked to exit without being pointed at. Outside, the wind howled around him, choosing the most random moments to settle down before getting loud again. He'd only taken a couple of steps before he noticed Adrien standing by one of the streetlights. He'd been abandoned by the reporters and his own father it seemed, so he was all alone in the darkness.

Felix shook his head in disappointment. He knew he would have to confront him, just not this soon. "Where's your father? Did he leave you on your own again?" he said, loud enough to be heard.

Adrien turned around and instantly tensed. He was at a loss for words as Felix approached him.

"I don't know how you could even say that," he said quietly. "You lied."

"And?"

"You lied to me, Felix! I trusted you."

"That right there was your mistake," Felix sniped back. "I didn't expect you to be so disappointed."

Adrien's eyes darted away from him.

"I just never thought you would stoop that low."

"Well, I'm sorry I didn't meet your expectations."

"Do you even care about me at all?"

Felix almost laughed. "I thought you of all people would be used to someone not caring about you," he said. His words came out sharper than he meant, but he didn't care. The look on his cousin's face didn't faze him in the slightest. He was on a roll. "Don't you realize? Your father said all those things, thinking I was you. That should tell you enough, shouldn't it?"

Adrien went quiet. Felix suddenly realized how sorry he felt for him.

"He doesn't care, Adrien--"

"Shut it." The sentence cut through the air like a knife, silencing any thought Felix had. Adrien began to storm off, then stopped. "So there was something between you and Lila, huh." He said it more like a statement, not a question. "Looks like you're not the only one I should be mad at."

Felix felt his teeth sink into his lip, then stopped himself. "I'm not going to tell you what to do. I am going to tell you that as much as I dislike you, you shouldn't be treated like that."

That's when it sunk in.

They'd been through struggles so similar it was as if they were matching, but Adrien turned out so much better. At least, that's what Felix had thought.

He didn't say anything else. He couldn't. The sudden wave of---shame? Regret?---was too much for him.

All he could think of was, "I know he feels like all you have since your mom died, but he isn't. I promise."

Adrien glared at him. For once, his green eyes weren't warm in the slightest. "Don't act like you did this for me."

"I didn't. But I should have."

The two of them went silent. Adrien's lips pursed into a thin line. Felix didn't utter a word, waiting. Finally, his cousin let out a sigh.

"I'm glad you're leaving, Felix. I wish it didn't have to be under these circumstances, but it'll be good to have you out of my life for a while." 

Adrien left without another word. Without another look back. Felix tried to ignore the way his stomach dropped. He tried to swallow the burning that had suddenly taken over his throat. Gabriel's son had every right to never want to see him again. He knew that. No matter how much it hurt, the truth didn't give a shit about his feelings.