Chapter 18 (part 2)

Chapter 18 (part 2)

As the wood cabin looms into view, Katy knows the time has come for her to focus, to push aside the nerves and worry and to fully focus. With her heart pounding loud they make their way over to the cabin. Mason clutches onto her forearm and drags her along, all as an act to downplay their relationship. No doubt if Richard hears of that, then the stakes would be raised much higher and Mason knew the sadistic bastard would probably hurt his Katy right in front of him.

His eyes scan to see men around 4 men patrolling the house with shotguns at their sides. Good thing he’s anticipated that. Cale’s the one to open the door as they knock.
“Check him,” orders a voice from inside the house to Cale. Cale gives an apologetic look and pats down Mason, brushing past the phone and ignoring it. The setting had been sent to ring Cole as soon as the Mason taps the screen and that’s when the gang will attack.
“All clear,” grunts back Cale stepping aside to let Mason and Katy through.
They step into the lounge where the infamous Richard is stood at. He flashes a smirk at Mason before Katy captures his interest. His posture shifts, to a more predatoral one. Eyes rake slowly up her form, making Mason grit his teeth in anger.
“So lovely to see you again, sweetheart,” snarls Richard at Katy with a mocking smirk that sends chills down her spine. Her body wants to lean into Mason but for the preservation of the performance, she has to remain still and brace it all.
“Where is Cassandra?” coldly cuts off Mason, anything to gain Richard’s attention away from his mate.
“Ah..Cassandra..Cale, go get her,” snaps Richard, dismissing the man immediately. Mason sees Richard’s hand go to pat his pocket slightly, no doubt reassuring himself of the gun in there. Mason could move now, but it’s not time yet. No everything has to go to plan.

Cale hoists Cas’s hand around his shoulder, looping his arm around her waist.
“Lean into me,” he softly tells her, “we have to make this look believable.”
Complying Cas leans most of her weight onto Cale, making sure to drag her ‘wounded’ leg and lightly shut her eyes.
“Is Mason here?” she whispers to him as they make their way down the stairs.
“Yes, and so is Katy. Don’t worry, Mason has a plan...I think,” reports Cale in the same hushed tone.

Mason’s eyes assess Cas’s weak form. Dried blood...he concludes. Suppressing the smile Mason could feel on his face, he reaches in his pocket and presses the send button on his phone. A few minutes from now, Cole and the others should have taken care of Richard’s friends. Which leaves Richard for Mason and Cale. Perfect. 

Richard orders Cale to hand over Cas and paired with the warning look from Richard, Cale reluctantly shifts over Cas with a small apologetic look directed at Mason. Cas tries her hardest to keep up with the act of the distressed and injured woman but, with such a high intensity situation her senses are on edge.
“Looks like you arrived just in time, another few minutes and it seems like she’d be unreachable to just about anyone...or so it would seem...” muses Richard and before Mason nor Cale can react, Richard’s pulled out the gun and fired a silver bullet at Cas’s other leg. Cas’s eyes open wide in shock, her lips parting a cry and the burning surging through her again. Her wolf spirit is cut off from her abruptly and she gasps trying to cope with the pain of the bullet.
“Did you really think you can fool me, Cassandra? Really? No more games!...Give me Katherine and you may treat your little pack member,” growls Richard. Mason feels his heart pounding double time, but he has to try and remain calm. He feels himself torn. On one hand help Cas but give up Katy, or...leave Cas to die in Richard’s arms and keep his mate.
“You have to the count of three before this next bullet goes through beautiful Cassandra’s heart,” callously states Richard starting his counting, “one....two...th-”
Before Richard can spill the words ‘three’, Katy has broke out of Mason’s hold and gone to Richard.
“Give her over,” she dispassionately pronounces.
“See that Mason, she belongs to me. Even she knows she's mine,” grins Richard, tossing Cassandra to Cale and nodding at him to hand her over to Mason.

Just then, Cole and other pack members burst through the front door. Some were in their wolf forms, snarling and gnarling at Richard and Cale, whilst others, remain in their human forms, covered only by board shorts.
“Take her back and make sure she’s okay,” instructs Mason handing Cas over to Justin and handing him the car keys. Once Mason’s sure that Cas will be safe, his attention turns solely onto his mate. Richard has her pinned against his body, her back pressed flat against his chest. The cold black nozzle of the gun pressed against her temple, while one arm is clamped over her torso, restraining her.
“Don’t even think about it. One false move and the death of this innocent woman is on your conscious,” says Richard, his eyes darting around the room to all the people against him. Which is just about everyone.
“You won’t shoot her,” retorts back Mason causing Richard to smirk.