Chapter One

I smack the top of my alarm clock, silencing the annoying beeps. My eyes flutter open and the red digital numbers come into focus. I mentally groan. 02:30 AM. I sit up and slowly slither out of bed. My feet hit the carpet and walk over to the wall. I flick the light switch and the room eliminates. The sudden brightness snaps me out of my sleepy state.

I walk into my bathroom. I stick my arm into my walk in shower and turn the nob. I quickly pull my arm back as jets begin to fall from the shower-head. The bathroom begins to steam up and I slip out my pyjama shorts and white vest top. I step into the shower. I lather myself in soap and my hair in shampoo.

"Fuck!" I curse as my strawberry scented shampoo gets in my eye.

The stinging finally stops and I turn off the water. I step out and wrap myself in a towel. I flip my hair forward and put it up in a towel turban. I open the bathroom door and walk back to my bedroom. After drying my body I put on underwear and then open up my wardrobe. I pull black leggings up my thin legs and a turquoise jumper over my head. I put on socks and slip my feet into my red converse. I pull my hair out of the towel and my wet brown locks fall down my back. Grabbing a hair-tie I pull my hair up into a bun.

I sit down at my dressing table and run eyeliner bellow my eyes. I do my eyelids golden and gloss my lips. There's a knock on my door.

"Megan?" John's voice travels through my wooden door.

"Yeah?" I call.

The door swings open and I turn to see John in the door way. He's in grey sweatpants and a plain green T-shirt. It's weird, I normally see him in business suits. I haven't seen him in normal people clothes for like, four years.

"You ready to go?"

I nod.

John takes my suitcase and I swing my bag over my shoulder. I turn to look at half empty room. I won't be back here for three months... I flick the lights off and follow John downstairs. Mum is in the hall. She is wearing leggings and a white knitted jumper. It suits her better than her normal tight work dresses. Her hair is it's usual neat up-do.

"Everything ready to go?" Mum asks clapping her hands.

"Yeah. This is just the last thing to go in the car." Smiles John.

"Okay, so let's go."

Mum and John head towards the door.

"Wait!"

They turn to look at me.

"What about breakfast?"

"We have cookies in the car, and we'll eat at the airport."

"Sounds good."

I follow John out to the car while Mum locks up the house. I get into the back of the Landrover and begin to feast on cookies. Mum gets into the front passenger seat and John into the drivers seat. I watch as the huge house disappears into the distance. It won't be missed.

------------------------------------------

"Be good."

"I will."

"I love you."

"I know, I love you too."

"Stay safe."

"Yup."

"Behave."

"Will do."

"Make sure that-"

"Mum!" I cut her off. "I'll be fine! I'm gonna miss my plane."

I look over to the boarding passengers and then to my fretting Mother. She pulls me into a final hug. I give John a smile and a final hug and then turn to join the queue of waiting passengers.

---------------------------------------

I grab my case off the revolving luggage carrier. I wheel it out the exit of baggage claim and to Arivals. I scan the crowd of people, searching for Amy or Adam. Stranger... Stranger... Stranger... Ada- no, stranger...

"Megan?!"

I whip around. My step-brother is stood there. A huge grin on his face.

"Adam!" I grin and run into his open arms.

He pulls me into a bone crashing hug. Literally. I pull back gasping for air and with aching ribs.

"Ow." I whine. "Bones break ya know."

He chuckles.

"Sorry Megs, guess I'm mucho strong."

"No? The personal gym trainer is strong. You're kidding me." I sarcastically reply.

"I see your still sarcastic."

"Of course."

I grin and he pulls me into another hug.

"Amy is at home."

"Cool, let's go."

I follow Adam out the airport and into his car. I stare out the window the whole car ride, mesmerised by the tall buildings.

Hello New York!