expect the unexpected ii

"We're going from Capernaum to Jerusalem, right? My guess is, going the fastest route, It would at least take us a day and ten hours to get there, going south." Adrienne told Jesus as we all walked from Capernaum to Jerusalem.

A whole lot of us were holding palm branches. I was up front with Jesus and His Disciples, while my parents, aunts and uncle were hanging out with Jairus, Rachel and Cleopas. Tamar ran ahead and caught up with us, cheerful.

"You would be correct!" Jesus chuckled, His hand on Adrienne's shoulder with love.

"You're so smart, Adri!" I complimented.

"Yeah, I'm up for a walk!" Mei chirped cheerfully.

Davonte, biracial, a few inches taller than me, dark brown hair and hazel eyes, a kid from my class, was hyping up my siblings and other kids, leading them in a chant that went like this:

"Where are we going?!" Davonte shouted.

"WE'RE GOING TO JERUSALEM!" My siblings and the other kids responded.

Eventually I gave in and came up with another cheer. Jesus knew I couldn't resist, and laughed.

"WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO THERE?!" I yelled.

"SING HOSANNA! SING HOSANNA!!!" They yelled back.

"WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO THERE?!" Davonte and I called.

"SING HOSANNA! SING HOSANNA!!!" The siblings and other kids all responded.

When we took a rest stop for the evening, while I practiced, I showed Tamar my Scepter and explained why I had it, and my upcoming first mission. Reason was, she had seen my brooch and was curious about how I used it. Tamar was excited and very invested in what I told her.

"Who do you think you are?"

I heard some of the disciples arguing, and went to see what the racket was about. I returned my Scepter back into a brooch.

"When I'm in charge in God's Kingdom..." One disciple said.

"YOU?!" Judas balked.

"He'll never pick you! You couldn't run a market stall!" Bartholomew said. Some disciples chuckled at this.

"I was the first to follow him. If anyone's in charge, it's going to be me!" Andrew professed.

"Could YOU lead an army?" Judas snapped. "Will men follow YOU to glory?"

"You tell him!" Simon Peter interjected.

"I was the first!" Andrew snarled back.

"Guys, you really think any of you should be running things? Jesus should be the one in charge!" I broke the argument up, just as Jesus was back carrying a load of logs.

Everyone went dead silent. But I knew that things needed to be settled.

"Why don't you ask Him who He thinks is the greatest?" I suggested.

"Go on! Ask him, Judas." Simon-Peter encouraged.

"Master...um..." Judas sounded uncomfortable and awkward.

Jesus turned.

"We've been waiting for You to come and tell us: Who will be the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?" Bartholomew asked.

"This should be interesting." I giggled.

"All right... All right. I'll tell you." Jesus chuckled. He went over and lifted a small giggling toddler. She reached for His nose, and His beard.