nazareth

The carpenter stopped and was done for the day. I watched just inside the door of the doctor's house. He started going down the ladder.

"Goodbye, look after yourself, eh?" One worker bade him farewell.

"Bye!" The carpenter waved with a smile.

He seems very nice. I thought as I watched him say farewell to his fellow workers.

I heard a cough from behind me, and I looked around fast to see Tamar wiping her forehead and she continued to watch along with me. Jairus was up on the second floor of the first century abode talking to the doctor. Cleopas had shuffled off to his own house. My sisters, cousins and Aunt Joanne, and Sweeney were all watching the scenery with her.

We happened to hear the unkempt woman droning and muttering.

"I said, I said they were--"

"Get off!" One worker wrenched away cruelly.

"All of you, murderers, THIEVES. You think I don't see you?" Mary Magdalene mumbled. "The emperor, he told me. I know...Oh! Oh, lovely."

"'Lovely!'" One worker mocked Mary, and he and his buddies laughed.

I instantly felt bad for the poor woman and glared at the other workers for laughing at her.

"Back to work!" One boss snapped at the workers.

"You like nice things?" Mary said to one of the workers, and snaked her way to him.

"Get out!" the boss roared and pushed her to the ground. "OUT!!!"

He pulled out a whip.

Before I knew it, I raced down the steps, and out of the doctor's place and threw myself on top of Mary to shield her from the blow. I didn't hear my sisters and cousins' screams of fear, and my Aunt Joanne's fearful shout of my name. I flinched, expecting the worst as Mary Magdalene screamed in fear.

The worst never came. I looked up and saw the carpenter, his hand outstretched, stopping the boss from hurting us!

I rolled off of Mary Magdalene as the carpenter knelt down in the dirt and took her hand gently. I saw how gentle he was with her, and with me. I looked to the doctor's house and saw Jairus take Tamar to the second floor of his office. I saw Krishna with me, and I guessed that she followed me to protect me and Mary. The carpenter also was gentle with Krish.

I turned back to see Mary run off, and the carpenter looking to the boss with a stern yet compassionate look. It was enough to make the boss blush with embarrassment.

"To work!" the boss stuttered.

"Thanks for your help," I said to the carpenter.

"You're welcome." He said.

"Allow me to introduce ourselves. I'm Rani, and this is my sister, Krishna." I greeted, hand outstretched.

"Hi," Krishna nodded in acknowledgement.

"It's nice to meet you two. My name is Jesus," the carpenter shook my hand.

My eyes popped out of my head when he told me his name. Krishna squealed.

"YO!!! Rani, that's--"

"I know! The man we always pray to every night!" I found myself crying with joy, remembering that I had wondered what our Lord Jesus might have looked like. I felt His hand wipe my tears gently. I saw Him smile gently at me, and He seemed to figure out that we were from another timeline.

Krishna giggled hard. Whenever that happened, we knew she was having a crush.

Jesus chuckled lightly, and it was a beautiful sound.