Chapter 34

Rayne say down beside Aryanna and leaned on her slightly, her back resting on the side of Aryanna’s drawn up leg, so that she was sitting sideways, facing Aryanna and the dark woods behind her. 

“So, did you guys talk?” Rayne asked, in the same low tone. 

Aryanna smiled and nodded. “Yes,” she answered. 

Rayne nodded slowly. “And?” she asked. “Did you find anything out? Any reason for the tension?” 

Aryanna nodded. “Yes, but I do not know if it is completely correct, I haven’t heard Sheridan’s side,” she said. 

“I don’t mean to make Sheridan out as the bad guy, but I don’t think James is the problem, he is on the receiving end of Sheridan’s grief and all. I don’t think James has a side to the story,” Rayne said quietly. 

“I know, but James may perceive things differently than I would. I wanted to see what he thought. Besides, I didn’t want Sheridan to feel singled out, so I talked to James first,” she said. 

Rayne nodded. “I understand. Probably was wise to talk to him first,” she said nodding. 

They were both speaking in low tones so the other two wouldn’t be able to make out what they were saying. 

“You both were gone a while, did you only talk about the tension going on? Or did you talk about anything else?” Rayne said looking at Aryanna, a slight smile on her lips. 

Aryanna glanced at her then back at the fire, beyond Rayne’s shoulder. She nodded slightly, her own smile playing at the corners of her mouth. “Yes, yes we did. It was good to catch up with him,” she replied.  

Rayne smiled and nodded. “Good,” she paused for a moment, thinking. “I talked to Sheridan while you two were gone,” she said.

Aryanna looked at her, waiting for her to continue. When she didn’t she raised an eyebrow. “And?” she asked.

“Well, I don’t know if you should talk to him yourself, I don’t want to betray his trust. I think you should talk to him, and if he will not talk with you, then I’ll tell you,” Rayne replied hesitantly. 

Aryanna’s brows snapped together into a frown, but she nodded slowly, thinking on Rayne’s words. 

“Alright, fair enough,” she said. 

Rayne nodded, and let out a small sigh of relief, she didn’t want a fight with Aryanna. 

A comfortable silence fell over them as each was lost in thought. 

“I was thinking, now that James is mostly better, with only a few small symptoms of withdrawal, he should  start training with weapons. Being a slave his whole life, he isn’t going to be much of a help in the coming war, he’ll be a danger to himself and those around him,” Aryanna commented. 

Rayne looked at her, slightly surprised but nodded. “Agreed, might be awkward trying to keep Sheridan and him from fighting during the training though,” she said. 

Aryanna made a face. “I was thinking about that, wouldn’t be a very fair fight. Sheridan has years of experience on him. Besides, I don’t think I want them fighting right now.”

Rayne snorted and nodded. “Yes, I don’t think you do, might not end well. You may want to talk to Sheridan first,” she said.  

Aryanna nodded. “I plan to, hopefully tomorrow, I don’t even know if he’ll talk to me though,” she said shaking her head. 

Rayne nodded and bit her lip. “I think he will, might be difficult,” she replied. 

Aryanna nodded but didn’t say anything.