Chapter 32

James and Aryanna walked out of the campsite in silence. They continued walking that way for many paces. James glanced at Aryanna, but didn’t say anything. 

“So,” Aryanna started. 

James nodded. “So.” 

“What is going on with you and Sheridan?” she asked. 

James thought before answering. “I am not totally sure,” he said. 

Aryanna stopped him and looked at him. 

“No, really,” 

“Don’t think I didn’t notice that your face looked like someone had struck you, what happened while you and Sheridan were on the way, when I wasn’t there?” she asked. 

“I just surprised Sheridan, and he struck me across the face, we didn’t get into a fight. At least not a fight with fist flying,” he said. 

“Alright, I don’t feel like dragging this out of you, I wish you would just tell me,” Aryanna replied. 

 “Sheridan is grieving, and is taking it out on me. He hates that I am here and Finley is not,” James said. 

Aryanna scowled. “He needs to grow up,” she said. 

“Arya, don’t be so harsh. From what Sheridan said, you didn’t know Finley very well. It wasn’t that great a loss to you, right?” James asked softly. 

Aryanna nodded slightly. “I suppose, but he is old enough to know it’s not your fault!” she said. 

James didn’t reply. 

“James, it’s not your fault,” Aryanna stated firmly. 

“Indirectly it’s really is,” James said. 

“How?” she asked.  

 “If I hadn’t been captured, Finley would be alive,” James replied. 

“We don’t know that Finley is dead, first of all. James, it is not your fault you were captured! Don’t even say if you weren’t ever alive it would have been better,” she said. 

James shook his head.

“No, don’t, people make choices, don’t think for a second everyone would be better off with out you,” she said, she drew in a breath to continue but didn’t. 

“Why not?” James asked. 

“Because, well, Kalya wouldn’t know you, and,” she stopped, getting slightly flustered. She was glad of the dark that covered her blushing cheeks. 

“And?” James asked, Aryanna couldn’t see the slight smile that was tugging at the corners of his mouth. 

“And.. Exactly. Anyway, so you don’t have a problem with Sheridan? It is just he has one with you?” Aryanna asked, changing the topic.  

“I don’t have a problem with him, I just want him to relax,” James said. He leaned down towards Aryanna. “And you don’t make sense. ‘And… Exactly’ is not a reply” he said. 

“I’ll be speaking with him also, I wanted to hear it from you first though,” she said. “I know, but, that is the reply you are getting,” she said. 

“Why?” James asked. 

“Why what?” she asked impatiently. 

James spread his arms slightly. “Why are you avoiding my question?” he asked. 

“James, why are you so hung up on this question?” she demanded in return. 

James fell silent for a moment. “Because, I would like to know,” he replied softly.