Chapter 9

James woke with a start, it was still dark but he knew his day was starting very soon. He threw on his over coat again and hurried towards the gate. He exchanged greetings with the gate guards as he continued in. He reached the castle in time be the last in line for the breakfast all the serfs were allowed to have. 

“Cutting it close today James,” one of the cooks said with a friendly smile. He smiled slightly back at her, the bruise on his face protesting. 

“I know, thanks for it though, T” he said as she ladled some of the porridge into a bowl and handed it to him. She nodded and looked at his face.

“What happened?” she asked. James shrugged. He knew better than to be caught complaining while already being punished. She nodded knowingly. 

“Same person who always gives you them,” she said. He nodded. She shook her head. 

“Be careful and stay out of his way,” she advised. 

He snorted. “Didn’t have a choice, T,” he said. 

She shook her head again. “Isn’t it always that way,” she said. She motioned for him to continue on. “Can’t be seen being friendly with you,” she said softly, and glanced at something behind him. He ducked his head and walked away, setting his bowl down at a vacant table and looking around. He saw the head cook watching him shrewdly.  He bent his head and started eating quickly, wanting to get as much of the food he could before being summoned for the days work. Just before he was done he heard his name being called. He looked up and saw the cook gesturing at him impatiently. James looked at the rest of the food in this bowl but stood and went to the cook. 

“What is to be my job, sir?” James asked. 

“Kitchen, you’ll do what ever it is that anyone asks you too,” he said. James nodded in understanding and headed for the kitchen before he could be ordered to. 

As soon as he entered the kitchen he was met with sympathetic looks that were quickly covered by the head cook walking in behind him. James just gave them half smiles and stood waiting for someone to order him around. He only had a wait for few moments before people started calling for him to do little odd jobs they needed doing. In an hour or so he was taken by the head cook and told to set the table for Soren’s break fast. 

“Koen!” one of the other under cooks called. The head cook turned around and walked away from James, telling another of the kitchen serfs to help him with setting it. The two of them loaded up trays and headed into the hall. They set it in silence before the other serf broke the silence.

“What did you do to be so treated by Koen and the rest?” he asked. James looked up at him, not answering for a moment. 

“I-,” he hesitated, narrowing his eyes at the other dark haired young man, around his own age. He shook his head and continued setting the table. 

“What is it?” the other asked. James snorted.

“Keep quiet, I’m not talking with you,” he answered shortly glancing up at the other boy. He frowned as he looked genuinely surprised at James’ abrupt sharp answers. 

“What is your name?” James asked.

“Rayan,” was the reply. James looked at him. 

“I’m not speaking with you Rayan, because I don’t trust you,” he said. Rayan frowned. 

“It was just a question,” he said quietly. 

“Yes, a question, that could get me in much more trouble than I already am in,” James answered. 

“I’m not trying to get you in trouble, James!” Rayan said forcefully. 

James stopped abruptly. “How do you know my name?” he asked, his eyes narrowed. 

“I heard one of the other kitchen staff talking about how you were in the trouble,” he answered easily. James nodded and continued setting the dishes out, still not answering Rayan’s question, instead asking his own. 

“Where are you from?” James asked suddenly. 

Rayan frowned and hesitated. “Why?” he asked.

“Your accent sounds like you are from the Woodlands,” he said. 

Rayan set his jaw and gave a short nod. “I was, do you have a problem with us?” he asked, his tone defensive. James shook his head.

“I don’t have a problem, not at all,” he answered. 

They both fell silent. 

“Why have I not seen you around before?” James asked. 

“I was just purchased, only a few days ago, I was assigned to the kitchens,” Rayan answered bitterly.  James nodded. They finished up the setting of the table and went back into the kitchen. 

“James, you are serving them again!” Koen called. James nodded and took the tray he was given from one of the staff. 

James and the others served Master Soren and the other two with out a problem. Conrad seemed to be half asleep still and Soren and his wife ignored the staff. Breakfast was over soon and James was in charge of clearing away the dishes and then washing them all and putting them away. Cleaning up the dishes took him almost the remainder of the morning. He finished and went to find Koen. 

Koen laughed when he saw him. “You are just in time to set out the mid day meal dishes and then serve them then wash all of the dishes afterwards,” he said. James sighed, it was going to be a long day.