Chapter 29

Since my last chapter was so short I'm uploading the next one too! :) 

However, I'm getting closer to the point where I am still writing, my chapters are running out! So, just warning ya'll there may come a time when I will not be uploading *as* fast. But, with a bit of pressure I'll prolly get more done.. haha! 

Enjoy, any constructive criticism is welcome!! 

Oh and this chapter is dedicated to Nonnie228 because she is an awesome fan!! (Check out her Blackwater Chronicles! That story rocks.... :D ) 

Peace

_________________

James walked behind Sheridan, lost in thought. His fingers subconsciously traced where the numbers tattooed into his arm were. He wondered about Rayan but didn’t feel like he could tell Aryanna and the others about him. He wanted to get Rayan out but they couldn’t afford to have more set backs. He didn’t want to endanger the rest of them. He contemplated giving the information to Aryanna and going back for Rayan. He didn’t think he would be allowed to leave. Even though Aryanna believe he was in his right mind, he could tell that Sheridan did not trust him at all and seemed to have something against him. 

“Sheridan,” James said hesitantly. 

Sheridan cast a look over his shoulder at James but didn’t reply. 

James frowned and quickened his step slightly, grabbing Sheridan’s arm. “Sheridan,” he said again, more firmly.

Sheridan whirled around, knocking James’ hand off and striking him in the face. James staggered back, his hand covering his cheekbone where Sheridan hit him. “I’m sorry,” he said quickly, staying away from Sheridan. 

Sheridan stepped forward then stopped as James backed away in sync with Sheridan stepping forward. “I’m sorry James, but why did you grab my arm?” he asked, his voice cold. 

James hesitated. “I did not think you would react like that. I tried to get your attention but you ignored me, I’m sorry,” he said, not looking at Sheridan. 

Sheridan sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “What is it?” he asked abruptly. 

James glanced at him distrustfully. “Why do you dislike me so much?” he asked. 

“Is that really what you were going to ask me? We need to keep moving, come on,” Sheridan said turning back around and starting off. 

James made no move to follow. “Sheridan, I’m not going, you obviously have something against me and I want to know what it is. Don’t hate me without telling me why,” he said. 

Sheridan turned around sharply and walked towards James, he grabbed James’ arm and shoved him, making him move. 

“You are not in any position to tell me what is going to happen. Move before you give me an excuse to put the chains back on you,” he snarled. 

James looked at him in surprise. “Why, Sheridan? From what I have seen you are not like this, what is it about me that makes you so angry?” he demanded. 

Sheridan let James go and took a few steps away before turning again. “I don’t trust you,” he stated.

“Why?” James responded. 

“It’s too easy for you, you say your back, you get Aryanna, everyone is happy,” Sheridan said.

James nodded as he realized. “It’s not that it’s too easy for me, you have feelings for Aryanna,” he said softly. 

Sheridan didn’t respond, just glared at him. 

“Come on Sheridan, level with me, please,” James said. 

“I don’t have to answer to you,” Sheridan responded hotly.

James looked down, shaking his head. “No, no you don’t,” he said with a sigh. “If Aryanna is the reason that you have this grudge against me, then,” he ran a hand over his face with a slight sad chuckle. “It is pointless, Aryanna is a friend, she doesn’t see us as anything more,” he said softly. 

Sheridan snorted and shook his head. “You are oblivious then,” he said. 

James frowned.  “What do you mean by that?” he asked.

“You are, you don’t see it at all,” Sheridan said. 

“I don’t know if what I see is wishful thinking,” James replied. 

“Don’t be a fool, she obviously has feelings for you,” Sheridan said shaking his head. 

“Why would she Sheridan? I have nothing to offer, I am a slave,” he said bitterly. 

“I don’t see anyone forcing you back there, you are free now,” Sheridan said. 

“With the news I’m bringing I will have to go back, as soon as I go I will be forfeit again,” James said. “There isn’t a way around it.”

“Why would you have... wait, what news?” Sheridan asked.

“News of what Adonis is planning, the arrogant man told me before he drugged me, thinking I wouldn’t ever break out of the drugged state.”

“What are the details?” Sheridan demanded. 

James looked at him for a moment. “Adonis is planning on wiping out all from the plains and then moving onto the Woodlanders. He won’t stop until he has conquered all in his path. He is planning on starting his own utopia with him in the leadership. He will make everyone his elites. If anyone fights he will just kill them. The rest will become addicted to his optian with no choice. I was trying to tell that to you before you struck me,” James said. 

Sheridan nodded. “I’m sorry for that. We need to tell Aryanna about Adonis,” he said. 

James nodded and looked over his shoulder back in the direction of Adonis’ stronghold. 

Sheridan followed his gaze and frowned. “What is it?” he asked. 

James looked at the ground then back up at Sheridan. “I left a friend behind back there,” he said.

“You can’t go after him, he won’t recognize you and you just got free of the optian,” Sheridan said firmly. 

James hesitated. 

“Don’t try to run off, I’m not even sure that you truly are free of the optian,” Sheridan warned, his voice held  a dangerous note. 

James looked at him, his face unreadable. “You need to trust me,” he said softly. 

“I don’t need to trust you at all,” Sheridan replied. 

“Why can’t you just try?” James asked.

 “I don’t want to regret it,” Sheridan stated. “Come on, let’s catch up to the girls,” Sheridan said starting off. 

James sighed and followed along behind him.