Chapter 29: The Declaration

The next morning, Julia officially declared her intent to attend NYU that upcoming fall before going to make herself breakfast. Rory had left early—he was tied up in a meeting about the general store and it's reopening and rebranding after the fire. Still feeling elated about finally making a choice about college, Julia was humming softly to herself and had just finished making herself an omelet when there was a knock on the door.

Julia wasn't expecting anyone, and it was all she could do from keeping herself from taking a step back as she opened the door to find Will's mother standing on the other side. "Mrs. Rivers," Julia said, unable to hid the surprise or apprehension in her voice. "What can I do for you?"
Julia stepped back from the doorway as Mrs. Rivers entered the small apartment, casting her gaze on the cluttered living room and Julia's dirty pans from breakfast. Julia closed the door as Mrs. River turned to face her.

"I apologize on intruding like this without warning," Mrs. Rivers began. Julia didn't think her words were actually meaningful, though.

"Um, it's no problem," Julia said, trying to be polite. "I don't have anything planned for the day." What else could she say?

"Right, then, I suppose I'll get straight to the point," Mrs. River said, clasping her hands together in front of her. "I don't suppose that after our last meeting it's escaped your notice, but you wouldn't be the first choice of a partner for my son."

Julia gaped at her directness. "Er, yeah, I gathered that," she said, trying not to sound hostile but only partially succeeding.

"However, I admit, I cannot control who my son wishes to spend his time with," Mrs. Rivers said, sounding resigned, "and I no longer have the energy to try. I will not stand for, however, him throwing away his future over you."

Jesus, did this woman think Julia was pregnant or something? Or forcing Will to join a cult? "I'm not sure what you mean."

"Georgetown."

Julia waited to see if Mrs. Rivers would elaborate anymore, but with an extended period of silence, Julia spoke up. "Mrs. Rivers, I think Will's decision about college is exactly that: his decision. I have nothing to do with it."

Mrs. Rivers scoffed. "Then maybe you're not as intelligent as he thinks. Or maybe you think I'm not intelligent enough to see what you're doing."

"Well, clearly, I'm not intelligent enough to see what I'm doing," Julia said, getting impatient. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"I understand NYU is one of your top choices, which is in the same state as Cornell. Obviously, my son thinks that if you attend NYU, he can continue seeing you if he chooses Cornell. It's the only attraction Cornell can have over Georgetown."

"Cornell is an Ivy League school."

"But at Georgetown, he will have an incredible amount of academic and professional connections that will help him launch his career after university," Mrs. Rivers snipped. "He won't get that type of support at any other school, and his future will probably be ruined."

"Look, Mrs. Rivers," Julia said, desperate to get to the point and end the conversation, "I've made my decision about what school I will be attending this fall. Will is not aware of this decision. So, I expect that any decision he makes will not be based on mine. So, I'm asking you directly, what are you doing here, and what do you want from me?"

"I want you to convince my son that he should go to Georgetown."

"And why would you even think he would listen to me?"