Chapter 4: No One Likes Group Projects

Friday came all too soon. Will texted Julia every day of the week, reminding her of their agreement to meet right after fifth period on Friday to work on their project. Because of the block schedule, that meant before lunch.

Sitting next to Jack in art, Julia was working on her first long-term project: an abstract piece. Julia hated abstract art. She had already started over several times. While the class worked, Darleen went around and handed back everyone's piece they were assigned on the first day of class and had handed in on Wednesday.

Accepting her art from Darleen's outstretched hand, Julia saw an 8/10 scribbled on the back with a comment reading 'See Me' beside it.

"Weird."

Julia looked over to see Jack staring at Julia's score.

"What do you mean?" Julia asked. "Why does she want to see me?"

"I don't know. But the grade for the first piece usually isn't above a seven."

Jack went back to her work in silence, leaving Julia to stare at her paper. She tried to focus on her abstract piece, but her mind kept wandering back to all the possibilities as to why Darleen would want to see her. Julia wasn't exactly thrilled by the idea of a one on one conversation with the teacher about her very first assignment.

Finally, the bell rang, and Julia slowly packed up her things, dawdling to allow the class to clear before she approached Darleen's desk.

"You wanted to see me?" Julia asked.

"Ah yes, Julia," Darleen said, pushing her glasses up on her nose. "Your work. It's very good."

"Thank you," Julia said, slightly uncomfortable.

"And what I mean by that," Darleen continued, "is it is very technically good. Your technique is exquisite. However, it's lacking emotion, lacking feeling."

The comment caught Julia by surprise. She had always put feeling into her drawings. Why would this one be any different?

"I'm not sure what you mean."

"Look, Julia," Darleen said. "Feeling and meaning are two different things. I can see what you're trying to say with your art, but I can't feel what you're feeling while drawing it. All great art has feeling."

"How exactly do I do that?"

"It's different for every person. But if you don't feel the art while you're making it, there's no possible way to put emotion into the work."

Julia didn't respond.

"I told you at the beginning of the week, I expect improvement," Darleen said, staring Julia down and making her feel very small. "Just because your technique is good doesn't mean you're any different. Emotion, Julia. Make me feel."

"Thanks, Ms. Darleen," Julia mumbled, still confused.

"Have a good rest of your day." Darleen ended the conversation.

Julia took the drawing, rolled it up, and shoved it in her backpack as she left the room.