Chapter 30: Graduation

The last week of Julia's high school career passed in a blur. Seniors took their finals earlier than the rest of the school, so they had the final few days to get results back and attend information sessions on the logistics of the graduation ceremony. With the termination of homework, Julia was pleased to spend afternoons with Will and Megan, the latter of who planned to remain in Texas for school.

Julia's final class of high school was art. The graduation ceremony would be held the following day on Saturday. The class had turned in their final projects the previous Wednesday, so today all they were required to do was wait their turn to speak to Darleen in a one-on-one final evaluation of their work. Julia was surprised that she was not nervous about this conversation; she felt rather proud of what she created.

"Julia, come on up, please."

Julia got up from her seat at Darleen's instruction and approached her desk at the front of the class, sinking into the chair facing the art teacher.

"I know you've had some difficulties this year, both in my class and in the rest of your life." Darleen ruffled through the projects to pull Julia's out, not wasting any time on pleasantries. "Ah, here it is," she said, finally pulling out the book of watercolor paintings Julia had created. "What do you think you've learned this year?" Darleen folded her hands on her lap and looked at Julia expectantly.

"Um." The question caught her slightly off guard. "I guess a lot about emotion, and how it's not the same thing as meaning."

"No, no." Darleen shook her head but didn't look angry. "I don't mean about art, not necessarily. Just more in general."

Julia thought for a moment. "Emotion must be shown," she finally said. "If not, everything becomes a shell."

Darleen gave a smile, something Julia knew to be rare from the art teacher. "And I do believe, Julia, that you have accomplished that with this work." She thumbed carefully through the pages. "You showed quite a bit of improvement, and I appreciate your expansion to a medium outside of your usual drawings. A bold move, but an effective one. May I ask what inspired you to use watercolor?"

"My uncle," Julia explained. "He's a painter."

"I'm not sure what you're planning on doing with your life," Darleen said, "But I have heard you're you plan on attending school in New York City, is that correct?"

Julia nodded.

"Then I encourage you to explore the arts scene there," Darleen said. "And I encourage you to continue your own artistry, whether in an official form or not, and see what in the city might be educational for you."

"Thank you, Ms. Darleen," Julia said. "I've learned a lot from you this year."

"Good luck with everything in your future."

Julia met Will in the hallway at the beginning of their off period. As the rest of the students headed to lunch, Julia ran to give him and hug and he picked her up and swung her around.

"I can't believe we're finally out," Will said once he had put her down. "And all we have to do is show up tomorrow to walk across a stage and then we never have to come back to this place ever again."

"I don't know," Julia said, giving the hallway a glance. "It wasn't all bad here."

Will looked at her. "No," he said. "No, it wasn't."

They spend their final off period back at Tina's, and then Julia went home having promised to spend the evening with her uncle. He wanted to take her out to dinner in Austin. As she entered the apartment, Rory was already home, waiting for her.