Chapter 5

The Violet Kestrel flew down through the atmosphere of Teth. The terrain of the planet consisted of tall, stone mesas surrounded by thick, red forests in the lowlands.

The planet, located in wild space, was loosely controlled by the Hutts and not a part of the Empire. A perfect escape from any sort of galactic authority.

The air on Teth was foggy but the crew could make out the imprint of a small village on top of a mesa. They could also see an even taller mesa in the distance with a large monastery built on top.

The Kestrel circled the monastery and prepared to land on the outskirts of the village.

"Coming up on the village now," Skye told the others.

Rhodes tapped a few buttons to initiate the landing cycle. The Violet Kestrel touched down just outside the village. Rhodes sat up from his chair and headed past Lena and Hunter to the cargo hold.

Rhodes went to a panel on the wall and tapped in a series of codes followed by a retinal scan. The computer responded with a series of beeps and the screen turned green.

The wall opened up to reveal racks of weapons. As Rhodes went to retrieve a blaster rifle, Skye put her hand on his shoulder.

"Charles, we don't need more weapons right now. You will just scare the locals."

Rhodes sighed and placed the rifle back on the rack. He looked back to Skye and tapped his blaster pistol on his hip. "I am keeping this one though. I never go anywhere unarmed."

Skye rolled her eyes. "Fine, we should get going. Rose is waiting for us."

The door to the Kestrel slid open and the ramp extended. Rhodes stepped out first and made his way down the ramp, observing his surroundings.

The village consisted of a few dozen huts surrounded by fields of some sort of crop. Rhodes recognized it as nysillin, one of the most valuable crops in the galaxy. It was an herb that had many healing properties. The crop had long green stalks with large buds on top. The buds were plump with a red surface and brown polka dots.

The majority of the huts were arranged around a courtyard that featured various dirt paths and decorative plants. The huts were of many different sizes with a somewhat larger one adjacent to the courtyard.

The rest of the crew soon followed after Rhodes with Skye taking the lead heading into the village. Lena lagged behind, clearly admiring the abundance of plants that she was seeing for the first time.

"It's just grass. How interesting can it be?" Rhodes called as Lena scurried to catch up with the others.

As the crew walked through the settlement, the people living there began to exit their huts. They watched intently as the crew walked through the village.

Lena leaned over to Rhodes and whispered, "I don't think they are used to outsiders. They must have heard our ship."

Rhodes nodded in agreement. "You can say that again. Maybe it's best to let Skye and I do most of the talking."

The group came to the center of the village and were waved down by one of the villagers. The woman had long curly brown hair and wore blue and gray robes.

On her shoulder sat a small bird-like creature with massive eyes. The woman was accompanied by a taller man with dark hair and a bushy mustache.

"Welcome to Teth." the woman started. "My name is Rose Dixon, and this is my husband Keiran. Thank you for coming to our remote sanctuary."

Rose bowed to the crew to which they returned the gesture. Skye, not allowing Rhodes to introduce himself, pointed to him. "Rose, this is my old associate Captain Charles Rhodes, his droid Hunter, and co-pilot Lena."