Alice in Wonderland (17, Part 1)

“You're too young to be down here,” Steve said.

“I don't think there's much of an age requirement once past 5.”

“How old are you?” He asked.

We walked through the valley-like area. The soft sounds of the stream were behind us and were replaced with bird calls.

I closed my eyes, straining my brain to remember, “I... don't know.”

“How can you not know?”

“I've been down here so long... age isn't very important. I can't recall...”

“You look to be about 15 or 16 to me,” Steve said.

“Okay, let's go with that then.”

“I'm 22,” He answered proudly. Probably because he was such a young lawyer.

When I didn't answer him he took it as an initiative to go ahead and speak some more, “This isn't what I thought Hell was like.”

“This is one good part of Hell. The part God created,” I answered. “Believe me, it gets worse.”

“So educate me. Who is this friend you talked about?” Steve asked.

“His names Jake. I met him down here on one of my first days,” I answered. I pushed a tree branch out of the way as we entered a highly vegetated area.

“And where is he now?”

“I'm not quite sure. Cassie took him somewhere and Dawson says it's the worst place to be in Hell,” I answered.

“Who's Cassie?”

I groaned, tired of answering so many questions.

“I'm sorry... I'm an inquisitive person,” Steve said, following close behind me.

“Cassie is a demon, she's the one who took Dawson out of you.”

“Then I like her better than you,” Steve said.

I rolled my eyes and turned to him. His face became pale as he looked at my expression.

“Well I'm all you got,” I said. “You better get used to me.”

Steve nodded and tore his eyes from my gazed. I sighed and turned back around, pushing more branches out of my way as I walked.

“Do you know where you're going?” Steve asked.

“No,” I mumbled.

“May I offer a word of advise?” Steve dared.

I sighed, might as well give him a chance. He's all I got right now, “Sure.”

“Maybe we should go there,” He said, pointing to the ground at the left of us.

I peered at what he was pointing to. It was a large hole in the ground.

“You've got to be kidding me,” I sneered.

“What?”

“It just seems a bit funny... kind of an Alice in Wonderland effect.”

“I guess.”

I could see he wasn't even going to humor me. I mumbled something unintelligent under my breath and knelt down next to the hole. I couldn't see anything due to the lack of light and readied myself to jump.

“What are you doing?” Steve asked.

“Got any better ideas?”

“I'm not going down there!” He hissed. For a guy, he was kind of a wimp.

“Fine. Suit yourself,” I answered.

“You're.... you're gonna leave me here?” He said, pouting a bit.

“Yup.... unless you decide to come.”

“Can we die down here?”

“Dude... we're already dead.”

“Can we still feel pain?” He asked, ignoring my comment.

“Yes.”

Steve took in a deep thoughtful breath. I nodded at him, trying to calm his nerves. I lowered myself into the hole and held onto the edge. Steve grasped my hands as I gripped the dirt with my fingernails.

“When I get to three you let go,” I said and he nodded. “One.... Two..... Three!”

Steve let go of my hands and I violently fell through the air. I screamed as I went down, not knowing if I would ever stop. Soon I heard the deep screams of Steve falling after me.

-This is only part 1 of the chapter. I haven't posted in so long I thought I should give you something, but I've been really busy with school work that I didn't have much of a chance to write for very long. Hopefully the next chapter will be a bit better, this one is kind of rushed. Thanks for reading/commenting/voting/fanning!