Alice in Wonderland (17 Part 2)

I was falling, but not really. There was no air, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't even move. Petrified I continued to plunge downward. My mouth lay parted as I tried to inhale the obscure air, but there was none to do so with. I tried to scream, but my speech had been stolen.

Any second I could be met with land, any minute I would feel the hard surface pushing against my body. I cringed at the thought of being stuck here forever.

Then, I stopped. I wasn't met with land, but I wasn't falling anymore either. I was still unable to move. My legs were spread apart slightly; my arms were outstretched. My short hair stood straight up, waving from side to side slightly and my mouth had dropped open.

Suddenly I fell to the ground, speeds faster than a cheetah. I was able to scream once again and took the opportunity to do so.

I met the ground sooner than I had thought I would, and fell on my back, the wind fully knocked out of me. I heard the sound of my decent echo as I breathed heavily. Where was I?

It was pitch black, too dark to make anything out, but soon I heard Steve land a ways away. I got up from my crouched position as I tried to see him or even just a shadow.

“Steve,” I whispered in a raspy voice, I cleared my throat and tried again. “Steve?”

“Over here,” He grumbled back, “but don't move. I hear water.

I stopped my foot in mid-air and placed it back behind me, “I don't hear anything.”

There was a pause and I heard Steve groan again, he sounded like he was in pain, “Just, don't move. Are you hurt?”

I poked at my arms and legs with my hand, “No... Are you?”

Steve mumbled under his breath and then said, “Yeah, I think I broke my arm.”

I bit my lip, “I'm coming over,” I decided.

“No!” Steve snapped. “Didn't you hear me the first time! I think there's water, it's dangerous.”

“Oh and what's gonna happen? I'll die again?” I said, hands on my hips as if he could see me.

Steve sighed but didn't protest, so I took that as an initiative to go ahead. I crouched down near the ground and gripped the soft dirt I felt. I moved my hands farther in front of me, my fingers tickled by a few strands of grass protruding from the surface. As I crept closer to the water Steve had talked about I began to hear it. Fear shot through me, I couldn't see anything and there may be something near by.

“Calm down, Clare,” I told myself, “you're already dead.”

I laughed, thinking that now I was actually afraid of death, when I was already deceased, and I had done it by my own hand.

I felt my hand slip under something wet and liquid. It felt fine at first, normal room temperature, then it changed. It began to get hotter and I tried to pull my hand out but it wouldn't budge. I whimpered softly, trying to free my now burning hand. I could see steam rise in the darkness and I continued to try to pull my hand out.

“S-Steve,” I said loudly even though I knew he couldn't help me.

“What?” He said. “What's wrong?”

“My hand, it's... it's stuck! It's stuck in the water.”

“What!” He said and I could hear him shift spots.

“It hurts!” I said trying to stifle back a scream.

“I told you to be careful. I-” Steve started to say, but then he stopped.