A Lead On Jake (10)

I was alone now, I wasn't used to that. I didn't have Jake or Dawson with me and I didn't know what to do. So I walked. It was the only thing that was familiar in this strange place.

"Clare," I heard.

Oh Crap, "Lucifer."

"I've been looking for you," He said.

"Oh I'm sure you have. What do you have planned now? Lynching, being stoned, or just some good old mental torture?" I asked.

"Oooh, aren't we mouthy today," Lucifer said, "How about you get to watch your little friend die?"

Then there appeared Jessica, the little girl that I had met previously. She was all tied up, from head to foot. Lucifer pulled out a knife as she tried to scream, but it was muffled by the cloth gagging her.

"What should I do first Clare?" He asked walking over to the girl, "Cut the neck, the arms... the legs?"

"The neck," I thought, "Please the neck." She'll die faster that way.

"Why don't I just start chopping her up slowly?"

Jessica began to cry as he walked to her, he lowered the blade of the knife to her arm, prepared to cut it off. I took the opportunity to pounce on him. I tried vigorously to get the knife out of his clamped hands. He threw me off and I landed harshly on the ground.

"You are such an idiot savant, you wrenched girl," He said turning back around to Jessica.

I couldn't do anything after that, I couldn't move, it was as if my body was broken without the pain. He chopped off the girls arm and then left her to slowly bleed out. He took the cloth from her mouth, and disappeared, so he would be able to hear her screams. I was still paralyzed. My limbs could not move, though I tried desperately to calm the girl with my words.

"Shhh, shhh," I said, "It'll be over soon." Even though I knew it wouldn't. She'll come back to life soon and most likely have to go through the same thing all over again.

"W-Why didn't you help me," She gasped through the pain.

"I couldn't," I whispered, "I couldn't."

"Why n-not?"

"I just, I just couldn't. I'm sorry," I begged, "I'm so sorry."

The girl shook with agonizing pain as I watched her die, and finally she did, and I was able to move again.

I got up and stepped over the girls lifeless body, tears streaming down my face as I walked. I dragged my feet forward, even though I knew it was no used, Jake was gone forever, I wouldn't never be able to get him back.

I was so weary, so tired. I didn't have the strength to fight for much longer. Lucifer was beating me badly. I wanted to give in, I wanted to tell him that he had won, but I couldn't do that. I had to keep trying. I guess I know how Cassie felt. I bet he did the same thing to her, until she cracked, and now she was what she was. Like Dawson had said, the easiest thing to be in Hell is a demon.

I saw an abundance of dark light near the edge of the forest. I climbed through the glossy leaves and rough bark and finally came out at the end. I was back on the beach. Although this one was much more dark. The sky had lost its sunlight and clouds covered the stars. Garbage littered the sand and the waves gripped angrily to the shore. I stood in the middle of all the fury, Lucifer's rage was plastered everywhere. I didn't know what to do next, what was I supposed to do? I didn't know where to go. What other places were there to explore in Hell.

"What next!" I screamed out, "Is this all you got Lucifer! Is this all you got! Show me what you can do you little shit! You're a coward!" I stood up and made a fist angrily at the sky, "Show me what you can do!"

I heard a sound behind me and then was grabbed, my mouth was covered my a hand and a deep voice was talking into my ear, "Shut up! Shut up, shut up, shut up! Do you want to die...again?" It said.

"Dawson?" I said in a muffled voice.

Dawson released his hand from my mouth and I turned around. I melted to my knees in relief.

"Oh thank you!" I said. I wouldn't have to be alone anymore.

"You okay?" He asked me.

"I'm better now."

"Let's go," He answered and started to walk towards the water.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"To get Jake."

"You found him!"

"Not yet, but I have a good guess on where he is."

"A guess, what if you aren't right?" I asked.

"Hey!" Dawson said whipping around, "Every judgment you've had so far has come from guesses! So shut up!"

This demon really wanted me to shut up, so I did. Even if it was Dawson, I knew better than to mess with a demon. He may still remember his human life, but he had forgotten most of it.

I followed him up to the edge of the water.

"What now?" I asked.

"We swim," He said taking off his jacket.

"Swim? How are we gonna find him like that"

"Well, this is how Cassie got him, now we need to catch her," Dawson said.

"I think I get it," I said and stepped into the water.

"Just follow my lead, if you aren't stupid then you'll catch on," He said.

"Oh darn," I joked and then dipped into into the cold water.

Dawson signaled for me to follow him and I pushed through the water, it was more frigid than I remember and I shivered. Dawson put his hand to his lips to tell me to be quiet then he pointed below us. There was Cassie coming towards us rapidly, for me. Dawson looked at me and then signaled for me to get ready to swim. Cassie reached for my ankle and I quickly dodged out of the way. Dawson swam for Cassie and grabbed her by her outstretched arm. She fought him as he began to swim up, toward the surface, and I followed him.

We burst out of the water and I helped Dawson lug Cassie to shore.

"Let go!" She screamed, "Let me go!"

We pulled her onto the sand and Dawson pinned her down, he pulled some rope out of his pocket and began to tie her up.

"How convenient," I said.

"I knew what we had to do," He said holding the rope in his mouth as he tied up the squirming Cassie.

Once Cassie was properly secure Dawson stood up and backed up to stand next to me.

"Let me out! Father will punish you greatly for this, Dawson!" Cassie screamed.

"What did you do with Jake," Dawson asked.

"I thought you knew," I whispered in his ear.

"I don't know for sure," He whispered back.

"You already know Dawson," Cassie said, smiling.

"But I thought Jake was "special" you still put him with the others?" Dawson asked.

"Special? How is he special?" I asked.

"What Father doesn't know won't hurt him," Cassie answered, ignoring my desperate question.

"Maybe I should go tell him, surely you'll get punished for it."

"Yeah right, and like you'll walk away free? For being a traitor?" Cassie said and laughed slightly.

"Someone tell me what is going on," I said.

"I know where Jake is," Dawson said.

"Now will you kindly let me out of here?" Cassie asked.

"Not a chance!" I yelled.

"Fine!" Cassie yelled and then opened her mouth. Cassie bubbled out of her vessel in her ooze form and then inched her way to the water, disappearing under the waves.

"Come on," Dawson said pulling at my arm as I stared after Cassie, "We can't worry about her right now. We have work to do."