Eve's Fruit (11)

Dawson was leading the way as we walked along the shoreline.

"Where are we going!" I whined trying to catch up to Dawson as he quickly strode across the sand.

"To get your little boyfriend," Dawson said not wasting a minute to turn around.

"He isn't my boyfriend! So quite calling him that!" I yelled, "Slow down!"

"I can't! The longer we wait the more damage Cassie will inflict upon him," Dawson said.

"Damage! What damage!" I begged for information but Dawson wouldn't answer. He only sped up his pace in order to ignore me.

I didn't talk any longer, knowing that if I did he would get angry, and you never want to anger a demon much less a temperamental one.

"Shouldn't we be going into the water?" I asked, "That's where Cassie took him before."

"Yeah," Dawson said, "But I know a short-cut that doesn't involve swimming in below freezing temperatures. It may not affect me much but it will affect you."

I nodded as he turned back around and I allowed him to go at his fast pace, though I trailed lazily behind him. I wanted to find Jake, more than he did, but I was tired. I was thirsty and wanted to stop for water, and I was hungry. But I didn't want to slow us down, so I held my tongue and said nothing about my discomfort.

"Come on!" He urged noticing that I was lagging behind.

"Sorry!" I breathed as I moved my feet faster trying to keep up. I finally was able to catch up to my companion and tried my best to keep to his pace.

"So where are we going?" I asked.

"To the farthest end of this path."

"But won't it soon just turn white?" I asked, "Jake and I already saw that."

"It will soon, and then we'll know that it's the end and we can start to look for the next part," Dawson said.

"Okay," I said. I was running by now though Dawson seemed to be walking slowly, "How are you not running?"

"Oh shit!" He said and then slowed down to a normal speed and I could go back to walking, "Sorry, I forget that you humans aren't as fast."

"I thought you said you remember being human?" I asked.

"Doesn't mean that I don't get caught up in being a demon once in a while," he stated.

I nodded and then stopped. I couldn't move anymore. I felt too weak, as if I were going to faint. I put my head between my legs, letting the blood flow to my skull to wake me up.

"You okay?" Dawson asked.

"What does it look like?" I asked.

"What's wrong?"

"I'm a human, I need food and water."

"Oh right... wait! You're dead! How come you need to eat?" He said.

"How should I know?" I asked coming back up and standing erect, "All I know is that I'm hungry."

"Okay," Dawson said looking around, "Well we don't have much time to waste. There is some water you can drink," He said pointing to the Ocean.

I walked over to the forest and looked over, "Hey! Here are some fruits I can eat!"

"Great!" Dawson said, "Now eat and let's get going!"

I shoved the fruit down my throat as fast as I could and then went to drink some water. Afterward I felt much better, although I was still craving bread and milk for some reason. I ignore my taste buds wants and walked along Dawson's side once more.

"I think we're almost there!" Dawson said loudly and then motioned for me to speed up my pace.

I ran along with him and we were able to see white beginning to form near the end of the path. We walked inside the white and gazed at its beauty. So pure, not a smudge anywhere. This was some of Lucifer's greatest work, just the white.

I suddenly crouched down in pain. My stomach felt as if it was being torn apart.

"Clare?" Dawson asked kneeling next to me.

"What's happening?" I whispered, it hurt to talk.

I gripped my stomach and felt it move, as if a tornado was inside of me.

"I don't.... wait," Dawson said.

"What?"

"What did the fruit that you ate look like?" He said.

"Oh great! That bastard poisoned me didn't he!" I yelled but it was a big mistake. My stomach lurched with pain and I quickly shut my mouth.

"What did the fruit look like!"

"I don't know. It was like yellowish-orange. It looked kind of like a mango, but bigger."

"Oh crap!" Dawson yelled getting up. I saw him run back down the path.

"Wait!" I tried to yell but it came out as a whisper, "Where are you going?"

He soon returned with an item in his hand. The mango-looking fruit that I ate.

"Is this what you ate?" He asked.

"Yeah?" I said hoarsely.

He rolled his eyes and sighed heavily, "Do you know what this is?"

"Something evil that hates my tummy?" I asked.

"This is Eves fruit," He said.

"What?" I said trying to sit up but then decided against it when I felt a pain in my right side shoot to my arm.

"You know the story of Adam and Eve? The first man and woman?" He asked.

"Yeah?"

"And you know the fruit that Eve ate and then shared with Adam? Which banished all of humanity to live a harsh life on Earth?" Dawson asked.

"Yeah?" I said understanding a bit more.

He held out the fruit to me, "This is the fruit that they ate."

"What!" I yelled and then moaned in pain.

"The fruit was banished to Hell once Lucifer had convinced Eve to eat it, it was deemed  impure and evil and belonged here."

"Oh my gosh!" I said gripping my stomach, "What's going to happen to me?"

"I don't know," Dawson said pacing back and forth, "All I know is that you would not want to eat that fruit."

"Thank you Captain Obvious," I hissed rolling over to my back, "What now?"

"Can you walk? Or at least try?" He asked.

"I can barley breath... walking would not be a good choice right now," I said closing my eyes.

Dawson sat next to me and put his arms on his knees, "I guess we wait then."

I nodded, "I guess we wait."