Hellquakes and other Natural Disasters

There seemed to be no exit to the room, or area, that we were inhabiting at the moment. Steve and I wandered aimlessly through this place that had once held peril and terror, but now held confusion.

“Maybe there's another door in the ground,” Steve offered.

“No,” I said quietly, shaking my head. “That seems too easy.”

“What did those things want from us?” Steve asked. It was sudden and so off topic that for a moment I hadn't the faintest idea of what he was talking about... but then I remembered.... unfortunately.

“I dunno,” I said, I felt so tired and gripped the sides of my head with my soiled hands.

Steve ignored my obvious signs of distress and walked ahead of me on the invisible path we had created ourselves. He placed his shaking hands into his pockets, trying to hide them before I noticed, but I did.

“Are you scared?” He asked me, turning around.

I swallowed hard and looked him straight in the eyes. “I don't know.”

He nodded, “I am.”

“What of?”

“What do you mean 'what of'? Why wouldn't I be scared.”

“Well, I just think you're wasting energy by being scared. It's not like being scared will change the situation,” I said.

“You're right. It's a wasted emotion. Doesn't mean I can stop.”

“I wish we could.”

Steve glanced away from the rock he had been so intently watching to look at me with wide surprised eyes. He had gotten his answer; I was human and scared.

“It was such a mistake!” I said.

“What was?” Steve asked, placing his good hand on my arm.

“Steve, I didn't die of natural causes.”

He stole his arm away from me almost as fast as it had landed, “What do you mean.”

“There was no disease involved... or even homicide.” I continued.

“Clare,” He said his forehead wrinkled slightly, “what are you saying.”

“I was put down here because I betrayed my family,” I said and for the first time in a long while, I let a silent tear drip from my blue eyes to the thirsty grass below me.

“You didn't.”

I nodded as I sniffled back more tears threatening to break through, “I did.”

“Why would you do that! I bet you had so much to live for! Didn't you think of your friends? Family?”

I shook my head, “No, I only thought of myself.”

“Then you deserved it.”

I stopped myself in mid-snuffle and pleaded with his eyes, “What?”

“You heard me,” He whispered. Steve had his back to me and I could tell he was trying to cross his arms, without much luck, due to his broken arm.

“What's wrong with you?” I said in a bit of a harsher voice than I intended.

“What's wrong with you?” He mumbled.

I rolled my eyes and loudly stamped my feet as I began to walk away, but I stopped in mid-step as I heard a rumble. It was faint at first, barley audible, but then it became louder and I began to feel it in my feet.