Chapter 26: Lost it

" Y-yea. It's me..." he didn't know what he was doing at that point. All he knew was that for the first time in his life, he was sitting on a train, alone, without any friend or family member beside him. And for the first time in a long time, he felt like he could breathe in peace. He didn't care if there was still a Punjabi family staring at him in suspicion and distrust. He didn't care if the place he was sitting was a very small cubicle like place that he was sharing with another hippie man. He didn't care about anything, really, because he knew. She was waiting out for him. She was still out there and still hoping that he still loved her which he very much did. No matter how many months had passed by since he hadn't met her. He still very much did. So, he didn't even care to know if the metal behind his head was clean or had a piece of chewing gum stuck to it. He only felt such strong solace rush through his blood that he was even careless enough to pick his feet up and sit cross legged over the seat.

" H-How... I... I thought that it was voicemail and-"
" Does that matter right now?" he blinked as he stared at the rusted metal that was right over his head.
" N-no. It doesn't..." there was tranquility and peace in his mind after she said that and for the first time since he ran out of his house, he was able to close his eyes and really relax his muscles and his high pumping heart.
" So... You called," and now, he was hoping that he could have a normal talk with her for once at least. For once, he could talk with her, maybe give her a heads up of the fact that he would be coming back into her life maybe for good this time.

" Right... Right... I called. I... You know what? I'll do one thing. I'll text you-"
" Hey," he frowned. She sounded flustered and something was definitely happening back with her. He didn't know what but she had created enough suspense for him to want to know more.
" You called. Now, shut up and say it,"
" I'm running away!" her voice was shrieky and her tone told him that she was definitely on her nerves when she said that so he could only guess that she was hiding something.
" Where to this time? Home, finally?"
" No. I was thinking Bengal, Calcutta... No one would look out for me there and I already quit my job here. Thought, maybe I could work in some underprivileged school or maybe another hotel this time?" Bengal? What was she thinking? It was on the other side of India. People probably wouldn't ever find her there. But why there? It wasn't a safe place for single women. He knew that many brothels were also present in the places where she was planning to go to.

" Why?" so, he asked the question that his heart was asking him as his body kept vibrating and moving along with the train's movements
" Huh?"
" Why Bengal? Why are you running? What's your reason this time? What did you do?"
" Nothing..."
" Then, what do you want to hide?" Silence, she left him on silent for the longest moment and the frown over his forehead only kept growing
" Pari...?" so, he provoked her a little after some time had passed and heard a peal of very awkward and guilty laughter coming from the other end of his call
" Leave it na. Let's... Let's talk about you. Too much talk about me. How... How are you? Haven't met you in 4 months now... How's the wedding coming along? Is it too much? And... How's your bride?" she was masking something behind her awkward laughter. There was just something about her tone... It was setting him off. But, she asked him how he had been. And it had been years after someone asked him that question. Plus, he wanted to seize the opportunity and make her jealous for all the times that she helped other men right in front of his eyes
" She's great. Aditi's... Perfect. Looks beautiful. She's sweet. And did you know that there is something called Mediterranean cuisine? I had no idea it's that healthy..."
" Really?" seemed like his tactic to make her jealous was working because he could literally hear her heart breaking into pieces when she asked that.
" Yeah... She's great. Just, probably not for me,"
" So...?"
" I canceled the wedding," was there hope in her eyes? Was there happiness over her lips? Was there a longing in her heart? And was there any yearning for him in her expression? He wanted to see her. But as his eyes stayed closed, he could imagine her hopeful face. He could imagine the small smile that crept over her lips. He could imagine her longing for him and him alone
" Wh-wha?"
" And I ran away from home,"
" WHAT!?"
" Where were you going again? Because I think the train would be reaching in about 15 minutes or so..."
" SOHIT!"
" What?! I'm serious. I said no to the marriage, I said no to baba and I ran to the train station. Coming to see you, if you want. Otherwise, I'll think of maybe going back,"
" N-no. Wait... I..." as a smile crested over his entire face, he could just imagine her biting her lower lip through far away. He could only see her mumbling about and thinking about everything as he waited for her to continue. He could only feel her pacing about the small, room that she had gotten to live in.
" I'll come to the station with my stuff, wait... I'll... I'll meet you there and then, I'll also. I'll tell you that. UGH! I can't say it. This is too soon. B-but. You wait! I'm coming to the station! Just... Wait right where you are!"
" Ok?" and now, he could only chuckle at her shaken, flustered, stumbling self.

The woman he had first met seemed to be a strong, independent, no-nonsense, mysterious woman and now that he knew who she really was under all that facade, he could only guess that she was a sweet little softie who was currently worked up about something serious happening in her life. What was it though? He wasn't able to put his finger on it.

But he sure was hoping to meet her soon and see her face again...