Chapter 17: Significance

" I might not be doing something significant, but I'm happy doing what I do. You might consider I have no self respect, and maybe that's even true, but I don't care at this point," she had gone out to do her work for the day while he sat in his room and just stared at the blank laptop screen in front of him.

Many things were going in his head, beginning with, he knew that he agreed with her point of view too. Didn't know if she would come back that night or not because he had already paid her for her help but now, he felt stuck again. Her words were roaming all around his head and honestly, he felt like the story was too personal to be written. But he did want to write it. Just didn't know where to start.

" I went to a psychiatrist... Many times but this one person... He told me that there are 3 kinds of people. I guess, the avoiders, the fighters and I don't really remember the third one. But every psychiatrist I ever met and even my dad always told me that I was an avoider. That I would avoid bad situations. I would run away and hide from them. And that was bad. I needed to fight. But I don't understand that if I find peace, and I find calmness in avoiding, why couldn't I do it? Why should everyone be one kind and fight headstrong? Why is a particular type ideal to everyone while the others are just people that you need to work on to help them? Maybe, helping them is creating more issues in their life? Don't you think? I mean, why would you want to give up that great job that you have and a very happy family just because someone said that it was not right to do that?" Something had struck him when she had asked him that.

Why would he want to give up on his own job and family? He had many reasons.

Starting from the fact that the amount of that one blank page held significance in his life was much more to the apparent dream job that he had landed on.

Significance... Now that he thought about that one word in much more depth, only her name kept popping in the back of his head. As if, she were much more significant to him than anyone else that he knew. A complete stranger who had been in his bed 3 nights and trusted him with her story... She was much more of a significance to him than the entire world at that point. Or was it just his hormones?

Couldn't put a hand over it or even press a single letter on the laptop. So, he just shut it, walked out of his stuffy, smelly, unclean, wrinkled up bed, and walked straight to the balcony with a cup of coffee in his hands. He just wanted to get his head cleared and think about something else because he knew. He couldn't have her as his significant other. She was maybe living a life he dreamed to live but, the chains of society were too tightly holding him back and his own self respect wouldn't let him do what she ever did.

A crazy idiot.
Yeah.
That would be a much better summation for her character...
But would it be?

She might have taken her decisions at the last moment and decided to leave her family and all the money as well, she did seem to have a clue about what she was doing. Had probably survived 3 years underground on her own, without anyone's help or support. Probably had done all sorts of odds jobs in order to survive and probably had even better knowledge about what happened in the real, poor world than him or any of the people she ran away from. And, he could guess that she was one of the only poor people who liked the transition of going from a rich bitch to a humble poor maid.

Then was it the fact that money didn't really matter?
Probably. Maybe it was that fact. But he couldn't understand... If she could have all the amenities that she wanted, how could she be unhappy? Because he...
Ok. Cut that. He himself wasn't happy with all his money and power. It just seem insignificant in front of her bright smile. It just seemed so, worthless when he thought about how she softly giggled once in the canteen while talking to one of her friends. Her laughter, her smile, that worry-less face... Why was it suddenly so much more significant to him?

Was he in love?

Right. He fell in love with a fucking maid he only met a few days ago.

No one can be sure that they have met their significant other until at least a few years.

Or is it a few special moments?
Like the time she decided to stay back with his drunk self at the beach at night. Or like the time he saw her smoke...?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

Was he sure?
No. He wasn't sure about anything. But, even as he stood at the balcony railing, sipping a strong, thick black coffee with the decision of not thinking about her, he was staring at an image of hers smiling right back at him. It was in his head but for a second there, as he smiled back at her and imagined her to send him a flying kiss, he believed that it was really happening in front of him.

And then he blinked... Cutting all his imagination into dust. And just as he scoffed at his childish hallucinations, realization dawned upon his head, he flipped. Not literally but he almost immediately looked away from the balcony and closed his eyes for the longest time.

" I am not in love," he took in a deep breath, trying to get all those thoughts out of his head but the moment he opened his eyes, he found her figure standing in front of him. She was shyly playing with her hair and had a dark red blush over her cheeks as she kept staring at him with a lovely smile and his heart slipped at that very moment.

The idiot was in love. Definitely.