Chapter 10 - My Daughter

Rakshit-

Things were getting messy each and every second. Mrs. Shergill had got Sargun ready but I accidentally dropped juice on her white dress while playing with her. Sargun looked at me, scared because she knew what was about to come.

Rakshit:- don't give me that look.

I glared at her while cleaning her frock while she just giggled and grabbed my mustache.

Rakshit:- han han utar hi lo.

And then I heard death bell.

Drishti:- Mr. Shergill? Sargun?

Normally Sargun would have been quiet and wouldn't have replied on her mother's call but today she yelled 'mama!!' so loud that Drishti knew we were in the washroom.

Rakshit:- tum dono maa beti ko meri parvah hi nai hai. Chilao aur chilao. Yahan tum chila rai ho aur vahan ab tumhari maa ake chilaegi.

She giggled again. For a second I was lost in her innocent laughter but the next moment beads of perspiration appeared on my forehead as the washroom door slid open.

Drishti:- Rakshit? Ye Sargun? (Notices the stain) ye sab kya hai Mr. Shergill!

Rakshit(scared):- meri bat suno! Ye chota sa hathsa tha hum to bas-

Drishti:- bas kya? Nai kya? Samajhte kya ho tum dono apne aap ko? Dono bap beti har bar kisi na kisi tarah sara kam kharab kr dete hain. Divya shadi ke lea taiyar hai. Romi ko mandap tak aap leke jane vale the aur papa bahr khade hain Sargun ko lene ke lea. Lekin nai! Aur ye kya kar dea. Ab ise kya pehnau mein.

Aj to mein gaya.

Sargun:- Papa! Paaaaa-

Rakshit:- chup! Udhar tufan aa raha hai aur ye maze se lagi hui hai apni dhun me mujhe phasa ke. Katti!

Sargun makes a sad face and was about to cry, due to which I had to pick her up and swing her in the air.

Liked it?

Her mom didn't Iike it though.

Drishti:- tumhe timepass sujh raha hai?

Rakshit:- Drishti meri bat suno

Drishti:- nai sunni!

Rakshit:- sorry

Thus went a fifteen minutes lecture alongside which she picked another dress which was meant for reception and got Sargun ready- for the second time. Only God knew how hard I wanted to laugh looking at her struggle to get her changed, but if I did I would have met God for sure.

Sargun:- mum- papa!

Drishti:- iska kuch nai ho skta.

I stood behind her proudly and tried making a move. I wrapped my arms around her and helped her hold Sargun just like a normal couple- a happy one. She rested her back on my chest and kissed on Sargun's forehead. The happiness was short-lived because before I could describe the moment her chachu knocked on the door.

Chachu:- Drishti beta. La Sargun ko mujhe de de. Mein ise niche le jata hun. Aur jaldi karo. Mahurat ka time hone vala hai.

Them:- okay.

Sargun:- nanuuuuuuuuu

Drishti:- ise sare admi ki dikhte hain.

Afterall she is Vicky Malhotra's bio daughter.

Wait- does that mean she'll have a boyfriend too ?

Hell no!

Drishti:- agar tumhari andruni planning ho gai ho, to chale? Shadi pe jana hai hume.

I nodded my head and mustered up enough courage to compliment her, but my mouth froze the moment she looked at me with hope.

Drishti:- kya?

Rakshit:- kuch nahi.

Her face showed disappointment but she said nothing. We walked downstairs together and parted to bring the bride and the groom. Soon the ceremony started and everything went according to the traditions.

A F T E R       B I D A I

Divya was crying. So was Drishti. I mean- why? She was just moving to the house next door.

I looked at Sargun whose hand was inside her mouth. I took it out of her mouth and wiped it with my shirt, slightly slapping her hand and telling her it was bad manners.

Rakshit:- Ye Sargun apni massi ki tarah itni dramatic mat hona. Dekho to sai- kitna ro rae hain.

I watched her mother and father cry (Mr. And Mrs. Walia) And somewhere I laughed seeing Romi cry more than Divya.

Was I insensitive?

In a corner stood my daughter and I making fun of the event. I was making jokes and she was laughing- even if she understood nothing. Then eventually I realized someday she will be going too.

That's when I joined the crying too.

Drishti - pov -

After Divya left I started looking for Mr. Shergill and found him in a corner with Sargun. If my eyes didn't betray me, I saw him- crying?

Seeing the view I rushed to him in a state of worry. The same old love had started blooming in my heart knce again and I couldn't see him cry. He already had enough of it.

Drishti:- Rakshit kya hua? Ro kyu rahe ho? Kuch hua hai to mujhe batao na.

I held his shoulders and tried cupping his face. Seconds later he looked at me innocently and pulled me into a hug. Sargun was still in arms wiping his tears and nodding a no- telling him to stop crying.

Rakshit:- Mrs. Shergill Sargun ki ek din shadi ho jaegi.

I'm sorry I had no words.

Drishti:- kya?

Rakshit:- meri beti mujhse dur ho jaegi Mrs. Shergill. Koi ise le jaega.

I laughed at him when he held Sargun close to him as someone was trying to snatch her from him. Admiring the love between them I knew Sargun couldn't have had a better father than him. Rakshit had done so much for us and now it was my time to do something for him.

Tonight- he would have all that he lost.

Next update- at night or tomorrow morning