Chapter 10

(Unedited)

6 years later...

Sadie was driving while talking on the phone...

"Yes, Mom, I know it's late but I couldn't miss the meeting. You know how important this project is for me-- I have been working my whole life for this and I can finally see it going somewhere. I promised dad that I will not let his family name drown and I am going to stand by it." Sadie said, trying her best to see the road ahead despite the heavy rain, and she heard her mother sigh on the other end.

"Your dad is gone, Sadie. But we are all here. Your sisters are still young and they miss having you around the house at all times. Please. Just come home, baby. We miss you." Sadie's heart ached at the words her mother had said with such a heavy heart and she forced down her emotions quickly.

"I miss them too, Mom. I... I will be back before they wake up for school. I got paid today so I have to stop by to pay the bills but I will be there. I promise. Don't worry, okay? Goodnight." Sadie ended the call as soon as she said that, knowing her mother would beg her to come home first, and took a deep breath as she watched the wipers of her ancient car try to fight the pouring rain.

Sadie, at twenty-six years of age, was the oldest sibling of seven, and the only one earning money for their big family ever since her father passed away four years ago. Before he expired, Sadie's dad used to run his own small family business where he fixed people's houses and helped them move in, and everybody in their small town loved and respected Sadie's family. However, after his sudden death, the business started going down as people could not entrust their houses to a young woman who had had to leave college in the middle of her studies just to help run their family — blame the dumb 80s, Sadie would always say — and the fact that, unbeknownst to them all, her father had been drowning in loans due to his poker addiction.

Sadie was an independent woman from the start and had moved out of their family home as soon as she turned eighteen. She was on her way to becoming a professional photographer for a huge magazine but when the news of her father's demise reached her and she learned about the situation with her young siblings, Sadie left it all behind just to take care of them. Although Sadie and her dad had never been able to see eye to eye due to her 'modern feminist ideologies', she loved him and she had vowed on his grave to save his family business and look after her family no matter what. It had taken her years and a lot of hard work to finally get to a place where she could get new clients and life was finally starting to make sense for her.

However, Sadie could not help the feeling that something was missing...

"Fucking rain! Fucking car!" Sadie shouted when her shitty car started to stop in the middle of a forest, and she all but screamed in irritation when she saw smoke coming from the hood.

"Mother--" Sadie shrieked and jumped when she heard the hood of her car popping automatically, cursing the old automobile, and knowing that the ancient vehicle could explode at any moment, she got out of the car at once.

"The first thing I'm gonna do after paying the bills is sell this piece of shit!" Sadie yelled angrily, kicking the tire, and groaned loudly when it popped from the impact; making her want to kill her car.

"Really universe?! Do you hate me that much?!" Sadie did not care if she looked odd, standing in the middle of a deserted road and shouting at the pouring sky, and the fact that it was freezing did not help her case at all.

Sadie was not expecting an answer...

"I do not think the universe hates you, Sadie." A voice had replied, causing her to scream bloody murder, and Sadie had turned around only to find herself frozen in her spot as soon as she saw the owner of the voice.