Bosses

Phoenix had two bosses. There was Mycroft. The Head of British Intelligence, in all but name. No, no, he had someone for that. And Phoenix played Mycroft’s Right Hand Man. She was in his highest confidence, and arranged most things. Of course, this didn’t make Mycroft lazy or stupid. No, he was brilliant. Phoenix had quickly realised this. She had been told, but she hadn’t realised how clever he really was. The Holmes’ all had their own quirky intelligence. It was one of these Holmes that she was going to see now.
Phoenix had been friends with a very queer girl during her childhood. A Miss Avery Holmes. Avery had taught Phoenix things. Again, this made Phoenix seem stupid. She wasn’t. It was just that she was more hands on material,  while Avery was the one to think about it. While beating someone up and messing with another’s love life. Of course, Avery was completely clueless about everyday things like money and taxes. But her mind was brilliant. And she had helped Phoenix develop hers a bit more. It was this ability that made Mycroft favour her, with no idea that Avery was the one who had helped her with that.
Ah, that was the crux of the matter. Phoenix had been happily living a few lives -no direction, she just enjoyed having the multiple personas to act out. To keep it interesting. Avery had found other ways to deal with boredom, but Phoenix enjoyed the messing with other minds. Letting them spill their secrets and the like. She had tried so many ordinary jobs to see what she liked. She was an actor – better than the Holmes, which was one of the reasons why Mycroft and Avery liked her, her ability to take on new roles so easily. Her imagination.
But one day, Avery asked for a favour, just a few years ago.She needed someone to watch over her brothers, when she couldn’t. And so Phoenix let a rumour go round about her abilities, and next thing she knew she was being kidnapped and offered a job. Just as she had planned. And so Phoenix cut back on her acting and dedicated herself to her new job, much to Mycroft’s satisfaction. She quickly (as quickly as possible in their line of work) rose through the ranks and was now practically at the top, working alongside Mycroft.
After all, when Avery Holmes needs a favour, she’s a hard one to refuse.