The Disappearing Act

At seven am she dragged herself from the bed and took a cold shower.

“Good morning,” she mumbled to her reflection as she got dressed in casual clothes.

Her reflection looked crap, but luckily Phoenix had enough experience in presentation and disguise to be able to hide it all away. She pulled her hair into a ponytail and wondered what she was going to do today. She had nothing to do, not in her mood.

She shrugged and made her way to the library of her house, glad she had money enough to make one. She picked a random book off the shelf – Daughter of the Empire by Raymond E Fiest – and curled up in an armchair. Before she opened the book she opened her phone and texted Mycroft that she didn’t want to be interrupted that day. Politely enough that she wouldn’t get in trouble – Mycroft tolerated her attitudes because of her skill and professionalism.

She began reading the book – one she had read several times, she always enjoyed Mara’s manipulation of the rules.

After two hours she stretched and began to grow restless. She couldn’t figure out what was wrong, until she noticed her phone. Mycroft hadn’t returned a text.

What the hell was going on with him?

She stretched and decided it was probably time for breakfast. She replaced the book on the shelf, grabbed her bag –mobile, wallet and all, and took a walk.

She lived a short walk from several cafes. She chose one at random and walked in, ordering a caramel slice and a coke and sitting in the corner by the window to eat.

She walked back leisurely and went into her living room and turned it on a sci-fi show. She double checked her phone. Still nothing. She scowled.

At 12am, the phone rang.

She jumped on it. Mycroft really had her worried. So inconsistent with the coughing and the sneezing and the not returning her texts. She could understand if it took him an hour or so to reply, if he had a meeting or something (though it’d have to be an impromptu one, as she had not been informed), but five hours?!

“Hello?” She asked, keeping the worry out of her voice.

“Rachael?”

Phoenix bit back a sigh of annoyance. “Jessica. What’s up?”

Jessica was her underling, and the one who fills in for Rachael when she was gone. She was good at paperwork and organising, but wasn’t so good at the manipulation side of the work, so Jessica was assigned to the deskwork part.

“Have…Have you seen Mr Holmes?”

Phoenix frowned and shifted urgently. “What?”

“He didn’t come in today.” There was a tremor in her voice, but whether that was worry or fear Phoenix couldn’t tell.

“Really?”

“I was wondering if you’d seen him?”

“No.”

“Um. Well…” she paused. “Could you find him for us? We checked his room, and there’s nothing on his schedule. No one’s seen him since he went home early yesterday.”

“Home early?” Another first.

“Yes. I don’t know what to do. I thought-”

“Yeah, yeah,” Phoenix interrupted. “I’ll track him down.”

A/N - Firstly, I actually put more than two seconds thought into the title this time. I put about five seconds into this one. 

Secondly, yay Raymond E Fiest!!!! Mara of the Acoma is a brillinat character :)