The Code

Sometimes, simplicity is best.

She had to text Avery.

Avery and Phoenix had a special test system.

They pretended they were other people.

Avery’s codename was Elizabeth Fitzgerald. Which was used because of the several variations of nicknames that could be created.

Phoenix was Caroline Harrington.

They used one of the most simplistic codes. The first letters of each word formed words. There were other rules too, but it was complex. One letter words were usually discarded. Things in inverted commas were inverted. The point of the code wasn’t to be complex, it was simply so that if they were being watched it would look like an ordinary friendship between two single gals.

“Maybe I’ll see something in ‘the cinemas’ next, Gerald.” MISSING. “Youknow?”

A one worded sentence was always literal, hence the seeming grammar mistake.

Did she know where he is?

Avery frowned as she got the text. Missing? Who was? Oh, god.

“Hey, I think Mary is coming over soon.” Sentences starting with Hey were literal too. No code was needed for literal texts. Avery would send a friend. It was too risky to go herself, but she’d send Mary, with a note.

Phoenix sighed. “Cool.” She texted back.