chapter 18

It was about three am when Lloyd noticed he wasn't going to get away so easily. He had tried for hours to annoy the others, to convince them to let him go, but to no avail. And there was nothing he could do on his own either.

With the golden weapons near, there was a constant headache present. The oni didn't feel like he could do much, not with them present. It was a shame that Harumi didn't untie him a few hours ago. Or more like, a shame the ninja came back so early.

One minute later and he would've been gone. Away from the weapons, the island and the ninja. And their advantage would've been gone too.

Lloyd wasn't sure what he would've done with Harumi though. She had betrayed him again. It seemed to be fate for them to be on opposite sides. No matter what they did, it was just meant to be. But they weren't.

He decided not to think about it for now. It was over now anyways. There was no way for him to escape. So, the next morning it would all be over. The other oni had no chance getting to the dark island in time.

Of course, he could send them a message, but they wouldn't be there before it was to late. He was the one to blame for this. Why did he have to trust Harumi in the first place? Lloyd knew very well that it was in her nature to betray people. And choose the wrong side.

No matter. He sighed, leaning his head against the tree. By now it was Zane watching him. And he thought to logical to be manipulated. And a robot. The ice ninja could read him like an open book. His scanners could never be fooled. Lloyd didn't even try.

The best thing he could do now, was try to get some rest. Because it was over, done. And there was absolutely nothing he could do about it. So he closed his eyes, letting sleep take over.

------------------------------------------------------

In the morning, everyone packed their stuff. They had to go fast, not waste any time. Even though it would only take about one more hour for them to get to the dark island, they couldn't risk anything.

Once again, they summoned their dragons. This time, Harumi flew with Nya. She didn't really care about who she was riding with, as long as she could get away from everything.

"I messed up again" she sighed.

Nya looked at her over her shoulder. It was the first time she saw actual guilt in the eyes of the former princess. She had thought about the actions of the other many times. Thought about what she would've done in her place.

If she was even able to do such a thing. Seducing a boy only to break his heart with firm attempt to kill him. Sure, she didn't really grow up with parents either, just with Kai, but it still seemed a bit extreme to her. It always has.

"You didn't do anything" she said. Seriously, she didn't.

"I almost have. I should've known that he was trying to trick me" Harumi said.

"Yeah, okay. But that wasn't really your fault. We all get the wrong impression of someone sometimes. You are the best example for that" Nya almost slapped herself. That was stupid. Why did she say that?

All of them knew by now that Harumi really meant it. That she was trying to make it better. Wanted to change. But maybe some part of Nya was still angry enough to rub it in her face at least this one time. She could kick herself later for that.

"I know and that is exactly why I should've known" the former princess insisted.

"It's like Morro said" the water ninja shrugged. "You just didn't want to see it."