4

The Great Hall was absolutely breathtaking

The Great Hall was absolutely breathtaking. I followed the first years in, feeling like quite a giant, after Tom and his freakish friends had forced me to. We were following a young witch- probably around her late thirties. She put her hand out as if to halt us, and stood by a grubby hat on a stool. I glanced behind me. The whole entire school was watching us carefully. They were probably wondering why they'd let a giant first year in the school. Little did they know, I was starting my seventh.

Headmaster Dippet stood up, a warm, welcoming smile on his face. He clapped his hands together and held them there. "Ah, hello there," he said, twinkling his eyes down at me. "Welcome to Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. I received an owl about your arrival." I gave a nervous smile and he averted his attention towards the school, which were really four rows of tables and students sitting narrowly down them. "Ms. Abigail here will be starting her seventh year, this year. I expect you all to welcome her with open arms." He threw me a friendly wink and sat back in what looked like a chair fit for a king.

"Abbot, Jack," the witch said, reading a list of names off of a scroll.

A chubby little first year with sandy-coloured hair tip-toed timidly up to the stool. I watched closely as the witch dropped the ugly hat upon his head. I couldn't hear anything, but I could see Jack muttering to the hat with frightened eyes, but relaxed when the hat bellowed, "HUFFLEPUFF!"

This was an extremely odd way to get sorted. But then again, I wasn't surprised. My mum warned me of all the odd things Hogwarts granted.

"Benjamin, Abigail."

And here I was thinking I was going to be sorted first or last. How embarrassing.

I pushed through the first years and eagerly shoved the hat on top of my head. A few people laughed at this. And then I felt the hat launching into my thoughts.

"Ah, talented one aren't you," it muttered lowly inside my head. "Hogwarts has a Seer this year. How exciting. You have many, many secrets. An upsetting past. Ah, yes. But, where to put you? You have a wonderful mind, not too bad, not too bad at all," I was so happy no one else could hear anything. "A lot of courage but not enough--"

I scoffed.

"...as I was saying. A lot of courage but not enough. I cannot place you in Gryffindor. There's kindness, plenty of kindness, but I'm not too sure about your loyalty. You've had troubles in the past figuring out where your loyalties lie. You're sly, very, very sly. But cunning? Hmm. It isn't Slytherin, either. Better be..." and then I winced as the hat bellowed, once again, "RAVENCLAW!"

A whole row of students jumped up and started to cheer. I glanced down. My tie and parts of my robe had started to change into a blue colour. I passed the hat back to the witch and broke into a speed-walk down to the table that had been cheering for me. All their robes were blue, too. A boy and a girl scooted to the side and let me sit in between them.