Chapter 6

The next day, Seraphina knew her first class was shared with John, but he wasn't there when she arrived.

She sighed and took her assigned seat, which was luckily behind the spot John sat in.

However, when John did turn up to the class (right before the bell), he went to the teacher and asked, "Miss, can I move seats?"

The teacher hesitated before she glanced around the room and then nodded. "Yes. In fact, I think I have some idea of who else needs to move."

She glared at the awake Isen, who gulped, and Blyke, who had his head on the desk.

"Blyke, can you swap seats with John?"

Blyke peeked his head up and comprehension dawned on his face. He stood up and grabbed his stuff and moved out to the other desk – this time trying to stay awake.

John with a bounce in his step, took up his new seat.

Seraphina silently sighed. If she had attempted that sooner, maybe he wouldn't have asked to do that.

At the end of the class, she was one of the first out the door. Unfortunately, John was the first out.

She picked up her pace and managed to reach him.

"Hey," she said. "Your class is on the way to mind." She glanced away with heat in her face as he continued to not respond. "How was your day yesterday?"

"I've had better." He met her eye. "Notably, three months ago."

She smiled without it reaching her eyes. "Don't we all." She cleared her throat. "Do you want to meet up later after school?"

"No." His hands were stuffed in his pockets.

"Oh, are you still trying to catch up on work? I can help you. I promise to not be rude about it this time."

"I can work on the classwork by myself," he replied.

"I'm just saying I can help explain it to you."

"I've asked the teachers for help, so you don't need to bother yourself."

"But are you sure you don't want my help? Didn't you say you preferred my teaching?" she asked.

"I said you were snappy with me."

"Well, do you want to work with me?"

"No, I'm meeting with the teacher then."

"But you surely can't be going there for the entire night? Do you want to go get a drink later?"

He stated he wanted to get a drink, right? The other day.

"No, I've got homework to do after that," he said.

"But you can't be working all night, right? That's not healthy."

John rolled his eyes. "I'll be going for a run, take my mind off things. Why do you care?"

"Because I care about you." She reached out for his arm and brushed her fingers over his before he pulled away. "I'll join you for the run. When are you going out?"

"After dinner," he replied as they reached his class.

"I'll see you then."

She smiled and waved as he headed into his classroom.

Remi searched through the library for Blyke and spotted him at one of the desks, writing revision notes.