Chapter 4

After the next class, Seraphina leant against the wall of a corridor with her arms crossed.

"John," she greeted as John came out of his class across the hall from her. She stood up.

He smiled at her and walked to in front of her. "Oh, hey Sera. Long time no talk."

"Woah, you weren't kidding about a private conversation." They stood in an empty classroom with John looking around. "Not even over a walk or drinks? It's making me kinda nervous, ha ha."

She crossed her arms over her chest. "Drop the act, John. Did you really think I wouldn't figure it out?"

"Figure out what?" he asked. His face blank.

She raised up her wrist, revealing her soulmark. "Do you think I wouldn't notice? I should have realised it sooner. It was so obvious! It was yours – like the one on your arm is mine."

"No." He shook his head. "I told you before, it's just a coincidence."

"Uh, yes, just a coincidence. Your mark is just my level and my eye colour and it glows when I activate my ability. Oh, and look, it's currently off-colour, like how my ability is disabled right now – don't claim it has always been like that. I saw if before the change and I know when it changed."

John stared at her as moments passed. "it could be that thing you suggested one time. The three-way soulmark."

"So, our other 'soulmate' just so happens to have the same eye colour as you. They also just so happen to have only developed their ability a few years ago and it rapidly became a 7.0. Then he stopped using it for two years until the first Joker attack and it glows during the Joker fight."

"Seraphina, how would you know that?" he asked. "You didn't even watch the Joker fights."

"I watched the last one. The one where you fought against the Royals."

"I fought?" he questioned. "I would be dead in a few seconds – Joker beat them with a broken arm. How could I be Joker?"

She sighed. "I recognised you, even though you wore a mask." He turned away from her. "Not from your face but from your posture, your technique, everything else. We've known each other for so long. Why didn't you tell me?"

"How many times do I have to say it? I'm not Joker!" he shouted. Suddenly, he turned around and clutched his hand to his chest. "If we've known each other for so long then why won't you just fucking believe me? Hello? It's me John. Your soulmate.

"I'm a cripple! I don't have an ability! I like going out for drinks, and hanging out on the roof and relaxing and playing games! Sure, I act like a smart-ass and it gets me in trouble sometimes!"

He knew.

"But have you seen the kinda shit Joker has done? That's not me! Would I act like that? Do you really believe I'd do stuff like that?"

"You just... I didn't... Until I –."

He grabbed her shoulders. "Sera, I don't care what anyone else thinks. Everyone else can think I'm shit, but you have to believe me!"

She just stared at him. "PLEASE! I'm not Joker. I'm not a monster okay?"

Monster? Why is he acting like this? This is a really bad way to try to convince me. He literally just admitted it to me.

Or is he trying to convince himself?

"Listen, John," she said. "You have to stop lying. If there's something wrong, you can talk to me about it! Denying won't help-."